Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing 2 tier client Data model question

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am trying to install a TC  client on a new machine. I don't see the datamodel in the selection box. How do I get it there and where do I get it from? Capture.JPG  

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES

Re: Installing 2 tier client Data model question

Phenom
Phenom

Hello, you can do this on select Features panel. Sample from Teamcenter 10:

Features.jpg

I don't know how to properly call a template NX Foundation in Teamcenter 11,  maybe they just renamed. If you have custom template, click Browse button and choose feature_your_custom_name.xml

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks for your response Arthur;

It is weird though, I am installing 2t. I don't see what you see on the form? What Am I doing wrong?

Capture2.JPGCapture1.JPG

Phenom
Phenom

Perhaps in the version of Teamcenter 11 there are some changes in the installer, I just do not have access to the Teamcenter 11 distribution right now.
Try using the Serarch button, enter there, for example NX or NX Foundation

TC11.jpg

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor

Good morning Stan. It is unusual to see data model issues when installing a 2t rich client. The screen you are having the error on should be pointing to an existing TC_DATA where the data model changes have already been applied. This error is telling you that you have a problem with tcdata or reaching tcdata.

Here are a couple suggestions:

1. Ensure that you are using the same software installing the 2tRAC as you have installed on the application server (SQL).

2. Ensure that the share (Everyone, Read) is enabled for the TC_DATA directory. In your case, on the server called SQL, D:\Siemens\tcdata should be shared as tcdata (\\sql\tcdata). On SQL, validate by typing "net share" on the command line. You should see "Share name" is tcdata and "Resource" is D:\Siemens\tcdata. If it's missing then you'll need to recreate the share.

Back on the workstation, The "2-tier server settings" should have settings:

TC_DATA > \\sql\tcdata

Connection Name > Production (or something meaningful besides TcData)

This is the information displayed in the login window.

Teamcenter-2ofX.PNG

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Pioneer
Pioneer
Hi Randy,

Thanks very much for your reply. Do you mean that I should use the same level, that is. If TC12.3 is installed on the server, the client installation should also be 12.3 directly or should I install TC 12.0 first?

I thought 12.0 should be installed first then the patches and/upgrades.
Because of this problem and because I could not see the same extensions for NX integrations, I installed a patch TC 12.3 and not TC 12.0, I thought I installed using the original TC 12.0 installation file. But I am confused now.

I was thinking to reinstall today but better understand the process before I do anything now.

Something I noticed is that there is no uninstall option. I was thinking best way is to remove everything teamcentre from the registry. But, if the first part above is true then I am not going crazy and it should be the same level as the server which is TC12.3?

I have tried the below to see if I could reinstall TC 12.0 by running the TC12.0 TEM to install over the TC12.? existing installation. It came up that the Java version was incompatible, which does not make any sense as it is still the certified 1.7 version as per the Siemens certified software I used for the original installation . Do you know what is the best way to go ahead with the Java when this happens? Reinstall Java?

Thanks again for the help Randy.

--
Message protected by MailGuard: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering.http://www.mailguard.com.au/mg

On the workstation, run TEM from the install media for the latest patch that matches your server (Tc11.2.3) and it will prompt you for the location of the base install media (Tc11.2.0). So have both Tc11.2.0 and Tc11.2.3 available (I like to keep them in C:\Temp). By using this method you save some steps.

But you can take the long route to by installing Tc11.2.0 (using media TEM) first then patching TEM (copy 11.2.3 install to TC_ROOT\install) and patching Teamcenter (run maint TEM and select update, point it to Tc11.2.3 wntx64 directory).

Either way will have the same result its just that the first method is easier/faster.

Uninstall needs to happen from the maint TEM (TC_ROOT\install\tem.bat) and not the media TEM (C:\Temp\Tc11.2.3\...\tem.bat). Remember there are two flavors of TEM. I suspect you ran the media TEM which doesn't have the uninstall option (nor the update option or migrate JRE option).

The path for Java is recorded in TC_ROOT\install\tem_init.bat during the initial install. Running the maint TEM will look for java in the location specified in tem_init.bat. Validate the path is correct and if java has been updated since you originally installed then update the path to java by running maint TEM and choosing "migrate to another JRE version". This will replace the java path throughout your installation (on the workstation).

Remember that 2tRAC has severe limitations when it comes to latency. The workstation needs to be physically close to the database server. Latencies of 2ms (ping time) will have slower performance than a 4tRAC. And installing a 4tRAC uses the same installation process (just the TEM screens are different). I always recommend installing 4tRAC over a 2tRAC unless something specifically forbids 4tRAC. Like the Dispatcher Module needing a 2tRAC for any of the "direct" translators.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Randy,

I am having the same issue: I have checked that the tcdata is shared correctly, and that it is readable by all users.

but it still insists that I add the datamodel to the installed features.

Capture_1.PNGIN my case I have SE, NX and SW CAD data extensions added to the base datamodel, but even if I add these packages to the installer it still asks for BBLPROD.

The BBLPROD/Data Model is your companies custom BMIDE project. It and possibly several other features may be required by a 2-tier client. This is because the TC_BIN and TC_LIB folders in TC_ROOT may need additional files to work correctly. Since the 2-tier uses its own TC_ROOT then TEM is asking you to populate it with things it thinks may be needed. It may not be true but could be true. This can happen regularly when running a 2-tier that is not also on the foundation server and why most folks have switched to 4-tier. Keeping the various TC_ROOT directories in sync can be daunting with multiples of the same deployment required. My advice, switch to 4-tier in this case.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply Randy, and YES I have gone the 4-Tier route already :smileywink: