Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Installing TC 11 continued

Hi,

While installing TC on the server I used a different Tc_data folder and created TCDATA,

For some reason when installing the client I can not get the TEM to except this folder. Do you have any idea.

Also Just to confirm that I understood the 4 and 2 tier clients.

I installed 2 tier as I understand it is what we need when we have a server and a couple of workstations as clients. is this correct?

Please see attached screen capture. (I did install and uninstall the client a few times as I find too many issues and I don't know what it is.) How do I get rid of the extra entries in the registry?

14 REPLIES

Re: Installing TC 11 continued

Actually, it is quite confusing as I pointed to another folder with the same name. I am now unsure why there are two folders with the same name. While I installed the TCRS on the server it created a tcdata folder as I entered there, however it also created another folder in the install directory which seems to be the one the client installation wants to look at.

So I must have done something wrong? Should the database folder inly be in the instalation folder?

Please see attached screen capture

TC Client is connected! Wow... getting there now!!

Just wondering though if things are done correctly...

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author stanvdm1
‎03-18-2016 06:59 AM

2 tier clients you can use when you have all within the same LAN and then I mean the database, application server and volumes plus the clients.

When you have a 2 tier client everything is processed on the clients workstation and it will communicate allot with the database so you need a low latency. If you go above 10ms you will start to feel the slowness, at least we did that when we tested with TC8.3 some years ago.

4 tier client uses http calls to the application server and can therefore send a request to the application server and that is processing the request and send back the reply over http to the client.

This allows much higher latency. I think TC10 is ok to run up to 250ms and TC11 is even even more improved.

You can read more about this in the documentation were it's explained more in detail.

We use only 4 tier clients and I also have the OTW distribution set to have an easier distribution of changes to the clients. In this OTW I have three different profiles, one standalone Rich Client, one for the users running Catia/NX and one for user only running NX. 

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author stanvdm1
‎03-18-2016 07:32 PM

There are a couple of issues with your installation. TC_DATA is the location where the database connection information is stored as well as all the other files that pertain to the installed environment. I think TcRS will put it in TC_ROOT\data by default.

The Database Directory is the folder on the database server where the database actually lives (MDF, LDF, NDF). Normally you don't change this value and leave it set to the default. You can verify, or have your DBA verify for you, the location by logging onto the db server

• launch MS SQL Server Manager Studio
  • expand Databases
  • right-click the "master" database and select Properties
  • select Files
  • read the Path

See the attached images. The reason you don't want to change the location is because of backups. Companies normally backup the DATA folder on the DB server and if you put the DB files in another location then they won't get backed up. You'll have to convince your DBA to move them to the correct location or start backing up the new location you specified in TEM.

Another, is the location of where Teamcenter is installed. I usually try to keep it out of "Program Files" or other directories with spaces in the path. My best practice is to use E:\Siemens\TCPD. TCPD is short for Teamcenter Production, TCQA and TCDV are also common for Quality Assurance and Development.

Further, TC_ROOT and TC_DATA are replaced during an upgrade so keep the other parts of your installation out of them. An example structure that I like to use is:

• Base Installation
    • E:\Siemens\TCPD
    • E:\Siemens\TCPD\Admin
    • E:\Siemens\TCPD\Logs
    • E:\Siemens\TCPD\Temp
  • TC_ROOT
    • E:\Siemens\TCPD\tcroot112
  • TC_DATA
    • E:\Siemens\TCPD\tcdata112
  • Volumes
    • E:\Siemens\TCPD\Volume01

Try your install again now that you know more about what is happening in TEM.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

And now the attachments...

All is running now,

I installed the NX extensions.

Is there an icon in TC or a link to NX so we can open the application through TC?

Thanks again,

In the rich client, choose Edit > Options then select NX, check the box and you'll see the Open in NX icon placed on your menu bar.

Hi,

Thanks for that, please sse the attached picture.

On the cleint the NX Foundation is installed. On the server no, does this error mean that it should be installed there. I noticed that it looks for the NX instalation path to be installed. I am not sure what is meant be "Teamcenter database" in this instance.

Thanks again,

I tried to fix the previous issue myself, so I tried to reinstallt the TC on the Client .

Now I have the issued all over again with the java files. I am using the same java versions that worked before. Re dowloaded also in case.

Now I get this issue and I am getting nowhere. the variables are set and I have the same version on the system.

Any ideas please.

Or is it that I should rather install TC10 as TC 11 seams to be imposibble to install?