Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Installing Teamcenter Rapid Start 11.2 - minimum Features

Hello,

I tried to install Teamcenter Rapid Start 11.2 Server and about 4 Clients. I think a 2Tier Environment is good enough for that. I will run TcRS with NX10. No Microsoft Office Integration. Optional Acrobat Integration.
Also we need the Dispatcher Server/Client.
We will also have access to Teamcenter from 2 Clients via 2Tier-Rich Client and Thin-Client (with Browser). The 2 other Clients should only have access via the Thin-Client.

System is running on Windows Server 2012R2 with SQL-Server 2012. I have preinstalled the Database-Template over the MSSQL-Server Management Studio. IIS is configured. Onlinehelp is installed and running.

1. Server:
    What is the minimum selection of "Solutions" in the Solutions panel during installation?
         I have choosen Corporate Server, 2Tier-Rich Client and BMIDEWhat is the minimum selection of "Features" in the Features panel during installation?
         I choose
              Base-Install -> BMIDE-Standalone, BMIDE 2Tier, TcRichClient 2Tier
              Server Enhancements -> do I need JAVA EE based Servver Manager? I think - no.
                                                     -> What is the benefit of the Database-Deamons? Do I need them?
                   File Management -> FMS Server Cache is preselected
                   Teamcenter Web Tier -> Web Tier for .Net
              Extensions -> Content and Doc Management -> Acrobat Reader Plugin
                   Enterprise Knowledge Foundation -> Dispatcher Client for Rich Client,
                                                                                    Render Doc for Rich Client,
                                                                                    Dispatcher Server, Dispatcher Client
                   Lifecycle Visualization -> TC Visualization (Embedded) for Rich Client
                                                               ! TcVis Standalone is installed allready
                   Localization -> do I need it? I dont have select it.
                   Teamcenter Integration for NX -> NX-Foundation, NX Rich Client Integration
                                                                              We dont need NX-Part-Familiy Classification Integr.
  2. Client with 2Tier Rich-Client and Thin Client
    For Thin Client access - here I think I have nothing to do - only open Browser and type in the Web-Client-URL.Which Features do I have to select for the Rich-Client 2Tier access with NX and Dispatcher-Client?
  3. Client with only Thin Client access. Same as above for Thin Client.

Hope that is not too much.

Michael

Michael Eichelberg, CAD-Consultant, Dr. Wallner Engineering Nord GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3 MP16, NX11.0.1 MP4
Development: Batch and VB Testing: NX12
12 REPLIES

Re: Installing Teamcenter Rapid Start 11.2 - minimum Features

The main choice is either J2EE or .NET architectures. I use .NET in most cases as it is easier to install and maintain. Once your choice is made then select the matching Server Manager and Web Tier. It's ok to install a 2tier rich client on the server as many components still require it like the Dispatcher Module. However, you should consider installing 4tier rich clients on the client workstations as it out performs 2tier at even small levels of latency (1ms). Some people think 2tier is easier but they're mistaken as 4tier is much easier to deal with (no TAO). Here's what I would install based on what you've told me:

Base Install

• Teamcenter Foundation
  • Business Modeler IDE Standalone
  • Teamcenter Rich Client

Server Enhancements

• .NET Based Server Manager
  • Full Text Search Engine

Database Daemons

• Teamcenter Shared Metadata Cache Service

File Management

• FMS Server Cache

Teamcenter Web Tier

• Web Tier for .NET

Content and Document Management

• Acrobat/Reader Plugin

Enterprise Knowledge Foundation

• Change Management (make sure you have a license or skip it)
  • Dispatcher Client for Rich Client
  • Dispatcher Server
  • Dispatcher Client

Lifecycle Visualization

• Teamcenter Visualization (Stand-alone) for Rich Client (licensed or skip)

Supplier Relationship Management

• Vendor Management

Teamcenter Integration for NX

• NX Foundation
  • NX Rich Client Integration

Note: Java Runtime x86 and x64 will need to be pre-installed (yes, both architectures). You may need to install JDK x64 depending on what you're doing in NX. TcVis, NX and Adobe Reader should be pre-installed before installing Teamcenter.

Note: These features are suggested for the server only ... not workstations.

Note: When installing Dispatcher Server you'll need to select Dispatcher Module and whatever Translators.

Welcome to Teamcenter!

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Hi Randy,

thank You! I also prefer .Net.

• .NET Based Server Manager -> is not in the List of Features bei TcRS11.2 but I see it in the list on the left side of the installer Windows. So I think it is selected automaticaly.
  • Teamcenter Shared Metadata Cache Service -> is not anywhere in the List of Feature by TcRS11.2
  • We don´t need Vendor-Management -> I will skip it.
  • Change Management -> is not anywhere in the List of Feature by TcRS11.2. We don´t need it.

I see there are some differences between TcRS10.1 and TcRS11.2 in the available list of Features. I don´t find the "visconvert" in the list of Translator later.

I have attached a Zip-File with pictures of the installation-process:

Solutions, Features, BMIDE-Templates, Translators, Overview- and Detail-List of Installation.

Now I hope the installation will going to the end without errors. Then test if TcRS is running with NX.

Michael

There are differences between TcRS and TcUA even though they use the same software now. TcRS makes some decisions for you automatically, like adding the shared metadata cache service and a limited form of change management. You may decide to add the translators PreviewService and PdfGenerator at a later date. The images were helpful. Best wishes.

Hi Randy,

I have installed TcRS now and it works. I can start it and also NX from TC.

But there are some thing I´m wondering:

• If I start TcRS in the TAO IRM-Windows i see a message like "TcServer1" Ready. I have not given this name at any time to installation of TcRS. What is this Name?
  • Althought I see in the login-windows a Server Name called "TcData" . During installation i have named the TCServer to "tc1". I have installed a few month ago a "normal" TC10.1-Server, where I put in the same values. In that case I have in the login-windows "tc1". Is that a special for TcRS? Can I change the name anywhere?
  • During Installation-Test for TcRS10.1 I have a translator "Visconvert". In TcRS 11.2 I didn´t find it. Has it a new name (PDFGenerator?) or is it not anymore in TcRS? If I would like to install the PDFGenerator, do I need other Software - from Adobe - for it?

Next step will be to install RichClient. I will try both Versions 2Tier and 4Tier. I hope they will work. In TcRS 10.1 I did not get them to work.

PS: Randy, you can call me Michael instead of ibme1. ibme1 is only my Account-Name for Siemens-PLM Webkey. I don´t now if I can change it here, without changing anything to the WebKey-Account.

Michael

[ Edited ]

Hi Michael, The values TcServer1 and TcData are defaults.
You launch 2t RAC using TC_ROOT\portal\portal.bat which calls TC_ROOT\iiopservers\start_imr.bat. The rest of the files mentioned will all be in the iiopservers directory.
The start_imr.bat calls tcserver.xml which is the first place to change the TcServer1 value. Next change the MARKER value in tcserver.properties (this file is used for the login dialog). Now copy or rename start_TcServer1.bat to start_<MARKER>.bat where <MARKER> is the new MARKER value. Open and edit start_<MARKER>.bat to change the value again. You should delete any caches on the client before launching.

The TcData value is chosen in TEM when specifying the parent FSC. It is also recorded in TC_ROOT\install\configuration.xml. Whenever manually editing files (like above) make sure to validate that configuration.xml has the same values since it is read by TEM.
Best, /Randy

Hi Randy,

that`s good information.

Another Problem:

Before I will start setup a Rich-Client-Installation I would like to test if the Client-PC can access the Online-Help, which I have installed on the Server with the newest DocumentationServer-SW 2.0 (Solr-Server and DocumServer).

On the TC-Server I have full access to the online documentation. But not so on the Client-PC. The Client-PC can see the TC-Server in the network. But If I start Online-Help, e.g. from NX, I get an empty Browser and after a while a connection-error-message. So I think, I will get the same problems, when trying to install the Rich-Client.

Which security settings are important to have access from Client-PC´s to the TC-Server? Windows-Firewall is currently switched off on Client-PC and Server. UAC also off.

Do I need any other access from the Clients to the Server? Do I have to install Solr-Server on each Client-PC to get Documentation access?

Michael

Michael

Michael, Anything that leverages the Browser with Teamcenter will need additional client setup to run Java. You'll need to add your server(s) to the exception list: Control Panel > Programs > Java, Java Control Panel > Security (tab), ensure "Enable Java content in the browser" is checked. Add the Teamcenter server(s) to the "Exception Site List". Best, /Randy

Hi Randy,

I have found the problem with the documentation. I had to set input- and output-rules for the port 8282 in the Windows-firewall. Then it works.

Michael

I guess the firewall wasn't turned off then. I'm glad you found it.