Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing an additional Server Manager in live environment?

Solution Partner Creator Solution Partner Creator
Solution Partner Creator

Hi Forum,

We have a customer who is experiencing a critical issue where Server Manager is crashing. We have an ongoing case with GTAC and PD on the issue, so for now we are not directly trying to investigate that particular issue.

However, we wonder if it might help to add another server manager (Enterprise Server) to the environment that is installed cleanly to the current version, not going through all patches and previous upgrades etc. but wonder if we can install this while the system is live? Anyone has any experience on this?

We know that for the final configurations like attaching it to the Web Tier Server Manager Peers, and the FMS master etc. we need take down the system temporarily.

Teamcenter version: 11.6 patch 4 with AWC on Windows platform with .NET 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Installing an additional Server Manager in live environment?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
a possible way would be installing the server manager against a test environment and then switch it to production environment (which editing the necessary config files)

Solution Partner Creator

Hi @MarkusK

I like your ide, I had not thought of that!

Although as this is a quite complex installation involving a lot of adresses towards Active Workspace services etc on the main server, i am not completly sure how this would play out regarding changing all configurations to point to PROD servers..

The Server Manager feature itself for sure is no issue, but during installation I have to add TC Foundation, and alot of other features to the TC_ROOT, especially for AWC server extensions i believe.. I attached the features list from the main server configuration.xml for reference. This server is acting as the corporate server and web server as well.

Do you have any pointers as to how to accomplish this?

Thanks,

Erik

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
usually you'd say during installation to connect to an existing TC_DATA directory
when entering the TC_DATA directory it tells you which features for datamodels are missing that you didn't select in the features dialog in the beginnng - just go back and add them.
at least you need to have all active workspace server extensions and all other datamodel relevant things (Teamcenter Integration for NX, ...) that might bring some sort of customization (a DLL)...

so your goal is to add an additional Teamcenter server manager or replace the whole other server with webservices and so on too? I first understood that you only want to add an additional server manager which you add to your webtier...

Solution Partner Creator

Hi,

A bit more rationale for clarity;

- The initial idea is to add another server manager, but possibly also uninstalling (or turning off) server manager on the original server, and only keeping it as the AWC indexing server etc. The original reason for this is that the customer is experiencing issues with servermanager.exe files, either run from service or console, wherin it crashes for unonwn reasons. A case is open with GTAC with highest priority.

My idea was to suggest to test if a "clean" server manager server would help on this issue.

So for your reply, Yes, the idea is to only add another server manager, and as you say, TEM will give hints as to what features is needed when i connect to existing TC_DATA and DB, so i guess it should be fine to test in the test environment and get an estimate towards how much downtime is needed and if any features requires the environmetn to be shut down for 4-tier users.

Thanks for you comments!

Erik

Creator
Creator

Hello, can I just ask what version of Teamcenter you're currently experiencing your server manager crashes on?

Solution Partner Creator
Hi,
It is currently on TC11.6_patch_4. It is not easily recreatable, and the reason is currently unknown.. But GTAC has been able to trigger the crash in some ways.

Erik

Creator
Creator

Thank you!

We're currently on 11.6 patch 1 and have been having similar issues since go live around 3 months ago. We recently upgraded our server manager to patch 3 but unfortunately have still seen the same issues and seeing your reply makes me think we'd have similar bad luck on 4.

Are you finding you were getting a ".net" and "application error" application crash when viewing event viewer?

We're currently working with Siemens/GTAC to resolve.

Solution Partner Creator

I see

We had similar issues in TC 11.4, and patched to 11.6 patch 4 as Siemens said to have solved it.. Now it even seems worse than before.

Yes, we are experiencing the same issues as you mention, related to the libServerManager.dll file (See image attached).

Erik.

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
By chance, does this happen w/more than 100 tcserver processes (note indexing can increase this number dramatically)? Have you already looked at the Windows Desktop Heap setting?

See Solution Center article 001-7939454

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4