Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Integrated Materials Management

Is anyone using this new tool?  We have it installed with our test database, but are having no luck importing the matml materials that we have downloaded from matweb.  The matweb .xml contains some data at the begining and end, which is non-standard MatML, so I have tried editing that, but when we get to the step on page 76 of the user guide, no materials are listed and we're stuck.

Once we have materials imported, we would like to know what requirements TC has for the "Material" attribute, so that we can use it on drawings and in PMI.  The user guide only briefly touches on using it in NX.  Any experience with this?

Thanks,

Dave

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
8 REPLIES

Re: Integrated Materials Management

I have some experience with Integrated Material Management. All good too, I must add.

However, I'm unable to get the materials in Teamcenter usable in NX. Did you ever get this working and if so, do you know where I can find information how to enable it?

Best regards,

Tommy Rosberg

I think the materials specified in Teamcenter are not available as selections within NX. As far as I know, materials in NX are defined in/reside in a text file inside UGII_BASE_DIR.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Thanks Randy.

You may be correct in this but I have information indicating that it is possible. I've not been able to get it working. But that may only be becuase I'm not doing it right. It would be interesting to see if there's anybody who succeeded.

Do you have access to Siemens GTAC and this part of the NX documentation?

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/nx/11/nx_help/#uid:xid1128419:index_advanced:xid389656:...

//Tommy

We ended up passing on this, and staying with the old material method, at least until Siemens gets things sorted better.

I could assign materials within NX, but I could also crash NX by reassigning a material...I do not remember how we got it working.  I know we had a few phone calls with Lucas Dann, and his partners in Europe, working thru things.

-Dave

[ Edited ]

Let's up this topic again

If you want to use materials from TC  in NX, you can try create you own materials in TC and classify them.

Then you can access TC materials from NX via reuse library tab. You can access to classification data from NX.

- create Material item in TC (aka Mat1Material in BMIDE)

- create MatML dataset (aka Mat1MatML in BMIDE (File->New->Other->MatML) under MaterialRevision

- create XML file in MatML format, simple exampe below:

Spoiler
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<MatML_Doc>
    <Material>
        <BulkDetails>
            <Name>Material name/description</Name>
            <Source source=""/>
            <PropertyData property="Material Type">
                <Data format="string">IsotropicMaterial</Data>
            </PropertyData>
            <PropertyData property="Version">
                <Data format="string">1.0</Data>
            </PropertyData>
            <PropertyData property="MaterialType_0">
                <Data format="integer">
                0</Data>
                <Qualifier>Isotropic</Qualifier>
            </PropertyData>
            <PropertyData property="AltName_1">
                <Data format="string">
                </Data>
            </PropertyData>
            <PropertyData property="MassDensity_0">
                <Data format="exponential">
                2.68</Data>
            </PropertyData>
            <PropertyData property="PoissonsRatioType_2">
                <Data format="integer">
                0</Data>
                <Qualifier>Major Poisson's Ratio</Qualifier>
            </PropertyData>
        </BulkDetails>
    </Material>
    <Metadata>
        <PropertyDetails id="MassDensity_0">
            <Name>MassDensity</Name>
            <Units description="grams per centimeter cubed" name="g/cm^3">
                <Unit>
                    <Name>g/cm^3</Name>
                </Unit>
            </Units>
        </PropertyDetails>
        <PropertyDetails id="YoungsModulus_1">
            <Name>YoungsModulus</Name>
            <Units>
                <Unitless/>
            </Units>
        </PropertyDetails>
    </Metadata>
</MatML_Doc>

- import this file to MatML dataset as named reference

- classify Material Item with your classification data

- Open NX, create any solid body, go to the classification in NX Reuse tab, search needed material and assign it to a part.

NOTE: to produce MatML XML file as template, you can use NX, Manage Materials.

For correct mass calculation the density value (Mass_Density tag in XML) needed

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed description.

However the approach you have shared here is the old material management approach which is retired by Siemens since 10.1.4. (See Siemens letter)

The IMM module has taken over the material management  data model Template and has added a lot more functionality.

I have added some steps below on how the Material Assignment to NX works with IMM.

- After installing IMM, you have to deploy IMM for NX. You can find more details in the IMM install guide, attached with every IMM package.

- Import some Catalogs in IMM. You can find two catalogs (NX and Sample Materials Catalogs) with every IMM package.

It is important to know that NX accepts and supports only Material Properties which Names and Units are mapped in the file called matmltonxmaterialpropertymappings.xml. This file exists by default under the NX installation folder %NX_INSTALL_DIR%\UGII\materials.

Any property name, in the MATML, which is not in this file, will be ignored by NX and stated on the assigned material as not defined or null. For a detailed description on how to map the property names between teamcenter and NX refer to the Material Export section from the IMM Admin Guide.Via the XSLs templates they provide the mapping is however straight forward

For example, if we try to assign from IMM NX, before any export filter configuration, a material that has material property called Mass Density (RHO)_1. NX will throw a warning that this property is skipped, because the name Mass Density (RHO)_1 is not defined in the NX mapping file.

The material manager needs to check prior to any material assignment that the IMM properties descriptor names matches the NX properties.

After these settings, you can Open NX, create any solid body, go to NX-->Tools ribbon, press the toolbar item Integrated Material Management (if not found, customize the toolbar and add it).

Search for the needed material and assign it to a part.

Material AssignMaterial Assign

If the Material has a mass density , the weight is automatically calculated after assignment.

Select the item, right click, select properties

Then select Update Data on Save:

Update on save.png

To effectively create a relation in Teamcenter between the assigned material revision and the part, press the Save button. The material revision will be diplayed in Teamcenter under the pseudo-folder Materials of the part.

Matseenin TC.png

Note that the Mass is automatically stored on the Mat1UsesMaterial Relation between the MaterialRevision and ItemRevision object. Perfect for Mass-Rollups and later Analysis. As you can have multiple Volumes per Part File, IMM supports multiple materials attached to an ItemRevision. Hence through having the weight on the relation you know exactly the weight per volume, and not just per design.

SM1 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed description.

However the approach you have shared here is the old material management approach which is retired by Siemens since 10.1.4. (See Siemens letter)

The IMM module has taken over the material management  data model Template and has added a lot more functionality.

You scared me with that, but reading  the letter, I see it is only the Teamcenter material tool that was retired, and not the old NX materials method.

-Dave

Is it possible to syncronize assign material in TC side with assigning attribute value for NX_Material attribute in standart Material management feauture?( pre IMM)