Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration between Teamcenter 12 and NX 12 in different machines

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi all,

Currently, I have a question for Teamcenter and NX integration.
My context is the system that has many PCs in the same network. We have some PCs that installed Teamcenter 12 for operators and other PCs are installed NX for designers.
Can you guys advise me the best practices to integrate that system for 2-tier and 4-tier? 

Thank in advance. :D

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Integration between Teamcenter 12 and NX 12 in different machines

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
I'm not sure that I understand your context?

I think you are talking about the need for client "flavors" where one group of users will run Tc12 and another group of users will run Tc12 w/NX12. Basically you need two separate installation processes: each with their own feature sets. When creating the silent install scripts for both, you will need to ensure that you have admin rights and that Java is installed. The script for NX users will have additional requirements to ensure that NX is installed. Once all the requirements have been validated then install Tc using the appropriate silent.xml: one for Tc-only and the other which includes TCIN. A naming convention for the installation location on the client machine is appropriate, keep them separate.

If the context suggests that Tc and NX are on separate machines then TCIN is not possible as they must co-exist.

I recommend 4tier for ALL of your client installations except for the Dispatcher Module which requires that DC be a 2tier for the "direct" translators.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi @RandyEllsworth ,

Thanks for your reply. 

As my understanding, we cannot install NX standalone and integrate Teamcenter in separate machines.

If we want to integrate NX and Teamcenter, I need to install NX and use TEM to add TCIN for the machine. Based on Teamcenter's installation configuration (it can be the host address and the port), the machine that installed NX and TCIN can "communicate" with the other machine that installed Teamcenter.

My understanding is right, Randy? Please correct me if I am missing anything. :) 

Thank you. 

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Teamcenter will always talk to the web-tier in a 4tier installation. The web tier talks to server manager to find an available tcserver and tcserver talks to the database. So no matter what integration is installed, the rich client/active workspace will always be able to communicate. The TCIN adds additional functionality to run NX Manager (managed NX) so that Design data, like an assembly, also updates Tc, like the EBOM. There is a bunch of other functionality like storing seed parts in Tc and building part libraries. In summary, each client installation updates the same database so they all see the same meta data, workflows, etc.

You can have many client "flavors" (feature sets). For instance, some common feature sets and naming:
C:\Siemens\TCPD\4tRAC - Tc with no integrations.
C:\Siemens\TCPD\4tMSO - Tc w/MS Office integration.
C:\Siemens\TCPD\4tNX - Tc w/NX and TCIN.
C:\Siemens\TCPD\4tSW - Tc w/SolidWorks and SWIM.
C:\Siemens\TCPD\4tNXMSO - Tc w/NX and MS Office.
C:\Siemens\TCPD\4tADM - Tc w/all features being used by other clients AND dispatcher management.
In the cases above I would have separate silent install xml's (and batch files) for each of the cases.

Hope that helps.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4