Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Intelligent part numbering

[ Edited ]

This thread mentioned "intelligent part numbering", so rather than hijack, I'm asking here...what is "intelligent part numbering"?  

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Administrators-Forum/Importing-existing-cu...

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
9 REPLIES

Re: Intelligent part numbering

It's an old system of numbering parts that predates PLM/PDM systems where portions of the part number represent something about the part.  For example, the first three digits or letters might be whether it is an assembly or a part, the second couple of values represent the type of part or assembly, etc.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

[ Edited ]

OK, that fits our part numbering system here.  Can this be incorporated into TC, so that db_part_no is our actual smart part number, instead of having to include the actual smart part number into db_part_name?  the auto assigned TC part number is useless for us, and makes creating duplicate parts possible, along with other issues.

Dropping the smart part number is not an option.  Also, Siemens rep told us that not using the TC assigned part number was not advised, but no explanation as to why?  Other places I've worked, we manually entered the smart part number during part creation, is that the only way?

-Dave

There is only so much you can do with naming patterns unless you wander into the customization realm and then you're free to do whatever you want. You might want to look into "Smart Codes" that is being introduced into Teamcenter from the Teamcenter RapidStart platform. With the two platforms merging, new possibilities open up for Teamcenter. You can either call GTAC or explore the readme docs for Tc11.2.1.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Smart Codes sounds promising, thanks.  I'll start looking into that.

-Dave

Hi Randy,

Smart Codes were the way that Rapid Start worked with this id numbering system. As of Teamcenter 11.2, any Smart Codes that were created need to be re-created into the Intelligent Part Numbering functionality in the BMIDE.

There are much more things you can do in 11.2 with regards to Patterns and Regular expressions, as well as, concatinating multiple counters and properties togeter to form a smart number.

Glen Keller

glen.keller@siemens.com

Although this thread was started in January I wanted to share my experience with the IPN so far.

At our company we wanted to replace the Siemens Customization (SST) with the IPN feature.

Numbering scheme:

PPPP C NNNNN
P = Prefix 0-9

c = constant "2"

N = counter 0-9

Testing the IPN in our system showed that

• the IPN uses a separat counter than the OOTB item item_id counter
  • the IPN is not available in the "save as" dialog in Teamcenter (using the Item_id will result in a correct prefix but with a non-unique counter)
  • the IPN has no NX integration (neither "create new" nor "save as" items)

We are using cascading LOVs as a prefix which works fine besides the mentioned restrictions.

If there are no OOTB solutions for these features we might have to go back to the SST or start thinking about user_exits. Getting rid of the classification prefix is not an option.

Where would I find more info about "Siemens Customization (SST)"? Or is that a total 1 off customization for your company?
-Dave

Hi Dave,

this is a Siemens add-on/extension provided by Siemens Switzerland. http://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/de_ch/

It is the SST12092 Configurable Number Generator.
It is loosely based on the TC Rapid Start
The NX integration is a customization for our company.

IPN is not supported by any CAD integrations that I know of. Therefore, I've personally abandoned the usage of IPN until it is supported. I talked briefly with the NX product manager at SPLM Connections 2016 and he said that IPN might be supported in NX 12 but certainly not before then.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2