Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is copying files from volume (instead of PLMXML export) recommended ?

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

A customer wants to export 300k Solid Edge files from Teamcenter.

They have raised questions if they could directly copy from Volume. Then they would like get report of the file names in volume and their corresponding original_file_name.

I see alwys a 'lock' symbol on the files in volume, but when I copied them to other directory, I could use it like any other file.

But I would like to have an opinion from our community.

10 REPLIES

Re: Is copying files from volume (instead of PLMXML export) recommended ?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

My opinion - I wouldn't directly take the files from the volumes. PLMXML is the safest way to get all that data. I've done that with SE files. What is the purpose of removing the data from TC? How is it to be used? Maybe there are better options to get them what they want instead of accessing them directly in the volume.

Jamie

Solution Partner Legend
Thanks Jamie for your response.
The purpose is to migrate SE data to other PLM.

Gears Phenom

That was my use case as well. It was pretty easy to just export with the PLMXML and it goes all into a folder. Then that folder can be data prepped and changes made for data model changes and imported. But if your 2 systems have the same data model like Dev to Test, then look at the bulk export function. It creates basically a breifcase of the data and then it can be imported without any manipulations. 

Jamie

Solution Partner Legend

Thanks. Currently I have no idea about the target system. Right now I'm stuck at the export level. They want to export from all latest revisions having any status. But as the amount of data is large, doing it with RAC menus is also not an option.

I am struggling to get a report of Latest Revisions with Any Status in a file, which would be input to plmxml_export utility. Do you have an idea how to get this report ?

Gears Phenom

Oh yeah! Don't do it via the RAC. My method was to take the top level assemblies (the revision you want exported), drop them in a folder, use the TC CMD prompt to run plmxml_export to do that processing. It is so much faster than the UI. I think I modified the ConfiguredDataFilesExportDefault transfer mode but you could just try it without modifying it first.

plmxml_export -u -p -g -folder -transfermode

Jamie

Solution Partner Legend
We were trying to follow your method i.e. search all latest ItemRevisions using 'Latest ItemRevision...' query and then copy all revisions to folder for export. But the query execution gave following error. Any idea how to go ahead ?

"Most likely cause of the empty stack is a programming error. The service operation has thrown a ServiceException or PartialError without adding a message to the stack. Error stack is empty. The cause of this error is unknown."

Gears Phenom

Can you send a syslog?

Also, I don't remember, what version of TC?

Solution Partner Legend
I don't have a syslog right now, but I could get it once I have meeting with the client. Teamcenter10, no idea of exact version as of now.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi,

There are more ways to do it.

1) Create a query to get latest revision, call it from ITK, get the item id returned by query, find attached dataset name, get the named reference name and then copy it to secondary storage.

2) Write a DB query to get the file names along with their path from DB. Create a new volume in TC. Use move_volume_files to move those files to new volume created. Now this new volume would only have the files which you need to move to target system. This is much eaiser than 1st approch since in 1st approch, you may come across memory issues.

Br,

Rupesh