Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it good practice to maintain separate BMIDE templates for DEV & PROD ?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi TC Admins,

Is it good practice to maintain separate BMIDE templates for DEV & PROD ? 

OR

Use same BMIDE template for deployment in both DEV & PROD ? considering there won't be too much playing in DEV BMIDE template.

What's your take?

Thanks,
Anbu

Teamcenter Architect & PLM/CAD Administrator,
Teamcenter 11.4 | Active Workspace 3.4 | NX 12
4 REPLIES

Re: Is it good practice to maintain separate BMIDE templates for DEV & PROD ?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I like to maintain separate templates just because I muck up Dev pretty quickly when trying out a bunch of stuff. I know I can through it away and start over with the Production project.

Also, this forces you to document your changes. You can't get lazy and just deploy the DV template since you have to recreate the solution in the PD template. Results in better documentation and a more thorough understanding of what is in it.

I know several people who disagree with this approach since what is tested in the DV template should be rolled out to PD to avoid retesting or potential mistakes in the configuration. However, their solution documentation is usually lacking as a result since it only shows the deployment of the template and not what was actually done within BMIDE for the solution.

As a good friend of mine likes to say "your mileage may vary."

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@RandyEllsworth I couldn't agree more. I am more inclined with this approach as I like documenting changes that goes into Production. Thanks for quick response !

Btw, lets hear it from others on advantage of having same template. Just starting a conversation around this topic.

Thanks,
Anbu

Teamcenter Architect & PLM/CAD Administrator,
Teamcenter 11.4 | Active Workspace 3.4 | NX 12

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

I usually recommend having one template and use a source control management system to control what gets used in the BMIDE template for Dev or Production releases.

Note that if you do use two seperate templates at some point you will desired to copy some of the definitions from the Dev template to the Prod template. Especially if you build other administration data (like security rules, preferences, RAC plugins, Business Object libraries that use type names defined in the Dev template. Copying the XML manually by handle could be challenging at times. Just remember there is capability in the BMIDE to "Move" definitions from one template to another. To do this, you must have both BMIDE templates loaded into your BMIDE (Dev BMIDE template and Prod BMIDE template). After you get done testing things in Dev BMIDE, you can use the BMIDE Move menu to select a Business OBject, or LOV, or more and move it from the Dev to Prod BMIDE template. once it is moved from Dev, it is removed from the Dev template and placed into the Prod Template.

Bob

Pioneer
Pioneer

Helllo BOB,

Thanks for the information about capability of BMIDE  "Move" option.

I understood that , when we use this MOVE option It moves the selected object from DEV to PROD.

Is the copy of that moved Object still remains in DEV or not?

If a copy didn't remains in DEV , then what about next developments on that moved object.. 

Thanks.