Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Is there a way to restrict the user to open multiple Teamcenter sessions in different workstations?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Explanation:

If a user opens Teamcenter and integrated NX (not local NX) in his workstation (workstation name -  A) using his Teamcenter ID (A123).

This same user opens an another session of Teamcenter and integrated NX in another workstation (workstation name - B (meeting room)) using his same Teamcenter ID (A123).

My concern is, the user should not be able to open an another session in a different workstation (B) using his same ID without closing the first one.

Is there any way to restrict this behaviour of opening multiple sessions in different workstations using same user ID?

27 REPLIES

Re: Is there a way to restrict the user to open multiple Teamcenter sessions in different workstatio

Phenom
Phenom
I don't know the answer, but I'm intrigued as to why you want to restrict this? Does having multiple sessions present you with problems and if so what are they? I've never thought to try and prevent it....
Rich
Richard Bennett
PLM Consultant
www.ProspectPLM.co.uk

Re: Is there a way to restrict the user to open multiple Teamcenter sessions in different workstatio

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Richard Bennett,

Thanks for your response.

We have limited number of NX licenses for the users. When the user has already opened a session on his computer and opening an another session in a meeting room. He consumes two licenses and it will result in license issue for another user. 

Do you have any suggestions on how to control this behaviour?

Thanks for yourtime.

Legend
Legend

2tier or 4tier?

Phenom
Phenom

Ah, gotcha. We use SolidWorks, and the licensing for SW releases a license after 20 minutes of inactivity.

In my opinion then, its the access to NX you need to restrict?  If there is a method for restricting how many teamcenter sessions a user can have open, it woulnt solve your problem as a user could still launch NX from the desktop as opposed to launching from TC?  I have limited experience of NX so I could be totally wrong here.

If I'm right, then I think your question needs to be how to restrict multiple NX sessions on different workstations.

Richard

Richard Bennett
PLM Consultant
www.ProspectPLM.co.uk

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If NX licensing across multiple concurrent computers is the issue, there are ways to help mitigate it.

1. Using a license options file to shorten the default license timeout. This is configured on the license server and can also be used to restrict/allow specific user IDs and computer names.
  2. Write a in-use license removal script that can be run to remove a user's license. I had written these over the years for end users to free up their own "hung" licenses and for admins to force off users.
  3. Modify startup scripts for TC and NX to first check for and free up if necessary the licenses if already in use by that user ID.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Pioneer
Pioneer

4 Tier

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Richard,

Thank you for the response.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hello Larry Carpenter,

Thank you for the solutions.

I am not very good in writing scripts. Therefore, I would like to try your first option.

I am not able to find any options in LMtools dialog box for license timeout feature. Could you please tell me where should i look to restrict/allow specific user IDs and computer names.

Thanks again for your time.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

You want to read the "Managin the Options File" section of the fnp_LicAdmin.pdf file that comes with the NX distribution.

It's basically creating an options file on the server and modifying the license file to point to it.

License file example:

SERVER <yourservername> COMPOSITE=<compositeID>
VENDOR ugslmd options=ugslmd.opt PORT=27999

Options File example:

# Block out all I-DEAS licenses
RESERVE 2 A026G USER usi02adm
# Set time out for NX licenses
TIMEOUT NX13100N 900
TIMEOUT ug_checkmate 900
TIMEOUT MA_adv_assemblies 900
TIMEOUT ug_pcb_modeler 900
# Define a group of users