cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JAVA and JAVA-Environment-Variables for TC

Builder
Builder

Hi all,

I would like to know what is the best JAVA-Installation for Teamcenter 10.1.6 and 11.2.2.

• Which is the best JAVA version to use? 7u17++ or 8u30++?
  • Did anyone install both versions 32Bit and 64Bit on a 64Bit machine?
  • Which environment-variables do I have to set for proper work?
    JAVA_HOME -> to 32 or 64Bit version directory?
    JRE_HOME
    JRE64_HOME
    JDK_HOME
    JDK64_HOME
    _JAVA_OPTIONS=-Xmx512M -> using it I have big problems with tchelp installer.
              Do I have to use it anywhere?
              Do I have to set it to other values?
    Are there any other important JAVA-relevant environment varaibles?
  • I have installed JAVA JRE and JDK in the root drive C:. Then I have copied it to my app-folder for Teamcenter and NX. I pointed all the above variables to that destinations. So I can update later the original JAVA-programs, without changing them in my TC-Environment.
    Do anyone of you do the same?

I would like to know, how other users of you will do it, do figure out the best way of using JAVA in Teamcenter environment. Hope we will get many discussions on it.

Michael

Michael Eichelberg, CAD-Consultant, Dr. Wallner Engineering Nord GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3 MP16, NX11.0.1 MP4
Development: Batch and VB Testing: NX12
2 REPLIES

Re: JAVA and JAVA-Environment-Variables for TC

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Hi Michael,

• Which is the best JAVA version to use? 7u17++ or 8u30++
    • As Java 7 is out of support and Java 8 is supported by both TC versions you mention I'd go for Java 8
  • Did anyone install both versions 32Bit and 64Bit on a 64Bit machine?
    • I do not really see the need for 32bit installation. 64-bit RAC, documentation server,.. all need 64 bit Java
  • Which environment-variables do I have to set for proper work?
    • Teamcenter does not rely on environment variables for running jre. For starting tem one may set JRE64_HOME but after tem is finished the settings for RAC, FMS, Dispatcher are saved in config giles
  • I have installed JAVA JRE and JDK in the root drive C:. Then I have copied it to my app-folder for Teamcenter
    • Esp. for the RAC it makes sense to have the jre directly packaged to avoid problems if central installed jre is updated by IT.

Regards,

xtof

Re: JAVA and JAVA-Environment-Variables for TC

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Mainly, I use Java 8 64bit on the server.

You do still need to install both 32 and 64 bit on client machines. This requirement is due to Internet Explorer (and sometimes aligning MS Office, TcVis and the Viewer). IE has both 32 and 64 bit versions available on Win 7, hence the need to install both bitwise versions of Java since you don't know which version of the browser the user will launch. Now that Win 10 is supported, the requirement for installing both bitwise versions of Java expires and you can concentrate on 64bit only.

You have to be using Win10 at the client level and the supported version of Teamcenter in order to skip the 32bit Java install.

I NEVER set JAVA_OPTIONS as an environment variable (globally). If I need to increase Xmx/Xms then I do that in the startup of the application (specific) as each application will have its own set of requirements.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2