Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Managing BMIDE and Teamcenter config for multiple environments in Github

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi,

We are doing lots of configuration and testing in an PLM implementation project where we have 4 environments

DEV
TEST
PREPROD
PROD

Our problem is that we dont really have a clear overview over what configuration is in which environment at any given time. We also have challenges if we want to do "partial transfers" of configuration (only transfer 50% of config done in DEV)

We are using standard BMIDE clients for each environment and transferring bmide config by copying content of default.xml and default_en_us.xml between the servers.
We are using plmxml and tc utilitie for exporting config files and importing to the next environment (wf, stylesheets, uiconfig, access manager, queries, preferences etc).

We are looking to streamline the configuration transfer and overview between the environments

We really see the need to use github or similar SCM to know what configuration is in each environment. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any tips?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Managing BMIDE and Teamcenter config for multiple environments in Github

Great question!  I've noticed that common SCM capabilities to identify and merge changes don't work well with XML since they are plain-text based and the natural reordering within XML files makes their change management capabilities unusable.

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
While GitHub is a good tool for managing and merging code (paths) it is not designed for Build Management (like Ant, Bamboo, Grunt or Jenkins) nor Deployment Management. The are other tools required to support DevOps, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment strategies.
https://raygun.com/blog/best-devops-tools/

SAFe includes DevOps and takes agile to another level.
https://www.scaledagileframework.com/

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius
Thanks,
I'll look into those tools

Experimenter
Experimenter

Any update to share with your search in managing BMIDE changes through the DTAP environments?

Who has already setup a manageable change enviroment?

As I am a configurator and not a programmer I have difficulties in selecting the correct tools :-)

Experimenter
Experimenter
Thanks for all the great suggestions.