Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate from Part to commercial part.

Creator
Creator
Hi

We starter using CAD Part separation a couple of years ago, and now we are looking at vendor management.

We use a subtype of the ootb Part objekt, and now we need to migrate all och most of them to commercial parts.

Has anyone done this before, and in that case could you tell me a little about the approach you took to manage this?

//Björn
---------------------------
Björn Andersson
Solution Architect
PLM @ Nibe AB

---------------------------
2 REPLIES

Re: Migrate from Part to commercial part.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
There isn't a utility that I'm aware of for converting one Item type to another where several types of Items exist as the same type. If you had a custom type already and wanted to convert them to Commercial then you could use the change_type_name utility but your data doesn't sound that clean.
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.4/help#uid:xid1256816:index_utilities_reference:i...

The issue with changing the Item type and why it is hard is because of attributes. Attributes required on one type may not be required or even exist on the other type. Mapping the attributes while converting types is the biggest issue. Most companies that have a number of Item types usually have to write ITK to convert from type to type. As we all know, Users regularly create the wrong type and think an admin can simply change it for them. Not the case without a custom program built specifically for that purpose.

There may be some migration tools that you can leverage for your task, like csv2tcxml (a.k.a. bulkloader), but I encourage you to write ITK instead as this will be an ongoing effort and not just a one-time swap. The more Item types you have then the more this utility will come in handy (ROI).

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Re: Migrate from Part to commercial part.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Note: You can also pay for a solution, like IPS_Upload (obtained from your CSR, not GTAC), which already has the ability to switch Item types.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4