Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move Teamcenter server and Upgrade

Creator
Creator

Hello, 

We are planing of moving foward upgration from TC 8.1.2.1 to TC10.1

Both our database and TC server are really old. (Running on a W2003 server)

We would like to move them to a new server, and upgrade. (W2K12 and SQL 2012)

This "new" server will be our developpement, and we will be moving foward once we're sure everything is running fine, so we would need to import all volumes as well

How should we proceed ?

Any advices would be appreciated,

Thanks,

6 REPLIES

Re: Move Teamcenter server and Upgrade

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom
You do not set up a development env on a new server and import production data to it as a method to move your production env. There are a number of steps involved, and you must actually move your volume data and not import them.

One method is to move things in chunks.

1) First, since Tc 8 doesn't support Win2012 nor SQL 2012, you'll have to install Win2008 and SQL 2008 on your new server.

2) Then move your SQL DB from your old server to your new one and change Tc to point to it. I used the SQL "Copy Wizard" to replicate my DB to a new server. There are several methods though.

3) Then at another time later install Tc8 on the new server, copy the TCDATA, and reconfigure Tc to point to its new location.

4) Then later you move the volumes and reconfigure Tc (and FMS) to point to its new location.

5) Upgrade Teamcenter and SQL DB.

6) Finally, you may be able to upgrade Win2008 to Win2012 in place and also SQL to SQL 2012.

Thank you,

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
IT Architect, CAxPLM Applications - Siemens Molecular Imaging
Vice Technical Director, Board of Directors - PLM World, Inc.
CAD Grief Counselor

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients. The information contained herein may include trade secrets, protected health or personal information, privileged or otherwise confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing, copying, distributing, or using such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your system. Thank you for your cooperation

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I forgot to mention that you should really test this migration/upgrade in a test environment and take notes before trying it on your real data.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Genius
Genius

Hi

I'm in the same situation, 2003 to 2012 and 32 bit to 64 bit and I didn't want to go to 2008 as a middle step if it is not an absolutly must.

What I done and can share as my experience are,

Note that you shall do this first in an non production environment!

- exported the TC8.3 db and imported it into SQL2012 (I'm using MS SQL 2003 and will move to SQL2012)

- installed TC8 on the 2012 server, note it's not possible to install the .NET since it's not supporting the IIS8. So I installed all (DoumentManagment, TSTK etc ) except .NET but it's not an issue since we will not connect andy 4-tiers to this server using TC8.

- rename the new installed tcdata and copied the tcdata from our TC8 production.

- copied the <TCROOT>\install folder from production to this new environment.

- changed the tc_profilevars.bat and the pom_schema_xxx file (As I would do when I make a clone of TC8.3 environment.)

- copy the xml files from the dba's volume(s) to the new environment. (If not making a complete copy of all volumes)

- When I can login to the cloned TC8 and the volumes are correct set. (test with import of a file) to this new environment I launched the tem from TC10.1.

One note! Make sure to adjust the configuration.xml file so it has the new environment set for the db in 'TcMssqlEngine' and 'FSCService' tags.

By doing this I have succesfully upgrade our TC8.3 to TC10.1.3. At this stage we are just on the development servers.

Next step will be to test and verify all integrations and plugins.

After this is ok I will do the same in our test environment and at theat moment follow the upgrade process that will be used when we upgrade production.

One benefit with this upgrade compared to the previos from 2007 to 8.3 is that now we have a new setup of servers both for db and application so I'm able to go back to old environment direcly if the final production upgrade would fail. But this it shouldn't be the case if we have done it several times in developent and then in test environment with success.

I also learned that if we launch TEM from patch TC10.1.3 it will ask for the files for TC10.1.0 and during the upgrade directly setup TC10.1.3. By doing this I should be able to skip the extra patch step when doing the upgrade.

It works at them moment fine with a fresh install but there is something with our BMIDE template that the TC10.1.3 won't accept in the upgradedialog when pointing out the templates. I think it might have something to do with that our template is from BMIDE 10.1.0 so this is something I will check.

So our current TC10.1.3 development environment I needed to make the pach in a second step after I have the TC10.1.0.

Creator
Creator

Thanks for the information Jormah,

We are in the exact situation.

It may have seems confusing in my last post, but we are definately working on getting a developpement server to test features and integration.

As I wanted to make sure I'm not affecting any of my productions environement, I've created rules in the firewall to block all communication that could be sent to our prod servers.

I was able to succesfuly installed TC, and log in.

My problems now is that when I want to change the path of my volumes, it seems to be trying to reach my production FSC server (and since firewall block it, it fail).

Am I missing a step somewhere ? I've been following the same exact way that you gave.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

There are several steps required when cloning a production environment. It sounds like you may have completed the a couple of steps but are missing some critical part that separate your new clone environment from the production environment. Here's an overview of what needs to be done...

1. Install software on clone "like" production.
  2. Unpopulate clone DB and clear the volumes (these were from the initial install of old software).
  3. Export/copy DB and import into clone.
  4. Copy volumes to clone.
  5. BEFORE STARTING the clone, alter DB. I call this morphing the DB:
  • Change volume definitions
  • Change the site name
  • Inactivate users
  • Remove Person email addresses

1. Copy production TC_DATA and replace the clone TC_DATA
  2. BEFORE STARTING the clone, alter TC_DATA. I call this morphing TC_DATA&colon;
  • Rename Log directory
  • Rename POM Schema file
  • Replace TNS Names (oracle only)
  • Edit tc_profilevars.bat
  • Test DB connection (install -ayt)
  • Regen POM Schema
  • Assert all dead
  • Verfiy indexes

Some preferences will need to be changed

• Fms_BootStrap_Urls
  • Default_Transient_Server
  • Transient_Volume_Installation_Location
  • Transient_Volume_RootDir
  • Default_Transient_Volume_Id
  • Web_default_site_server

Some changes are required in the FMS Master (validate using backup_xmlinfo):

• volumeName
  • nodeName
  • wntPath

Once all the above has been performed THEN you can do a limited startup using the web client. If that is successful then continue by installing 4t rich client software and starting up from there.

Best,

/Randy

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Genius
Genius

Hi

What you miss here is to change the preferences as RandyEllsworth describes before you change the actual path for the volumes.

Make sure you also change the path in fmsmaster_FSC_[yourserver]_infodba.xml and restart the FSC service!

• Fms_BootStrap_Urls
  • Default_Transient_Server
  • Transient_Volume_Installation_Location
  • Transient_Volume_RootDir
  • Default_Transient_Volume_Id
  • Web_default_site_server

I usually search for the old server in preferenses with star '*' both in front and back to find all.

When you change the volume path make sure you don't select 'yes' on the question Do you want to move volume.

I have a different post were I described the steps to clone a 8.3 to a test environment.

you can check this but it's similar to the steps RandyEllsworth posted.https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Administrators-Forum/How-to-create-Test-e...