Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple License serers in TC11.3

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I understand that with Tc11.3, it does not support multiple license servers (license servers configured using semi-colon in the SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER env variable).

But I have a requirement where I have a license server (say ServerA) having some features which i want to assign to only few users and not broader user community). The default license servers (say Server 1, 2,3) are in traid which contain the rest of the features which may not be included in ServerA and may be needed for the specific user using Liceser ServerA.

I see that we cannot configure multiple license server with TC11.3 (SFB-11586).

However I see that in organization you can configure the user to point to a specific license server, which overrides the SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER, but at the same time, picks up features present in default license servers in case not available in License ServerA configured at user level. This seems to solve my issue. but i just wanted to check if my understanding is right and if this is the way to configure or if there are other smarter ways?

To summarize, my understanding is, the Licenser server specified at user level in organization, takes precedence, but at the same time, it seems to reach out to the default license servers (mentioned in the SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER env variable), in case the features are not available in the license server mentioned at user level. 

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Multiple License serers in TC11.3

Phenom
Phenom

@Rizu wrote:

I understand that with Tc11.3, it does not support multiple license servers (license servers configured using semi-colon in the SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER env variable).

Is it really true? What do you mean saying  "multiple license servers" - 2 servers ore more?

I'm not using Tc11 but other pre 11.xxx versions supports 2 license  servers

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

You can specify multiple license servers in tc_profilevars.bat, for example:

SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER = 28000@server1; 28000@server2

and select the required license server for the user in the organization application.
As far as I understand, features will only be available to the user from the selected license server.

Experimenter
Experimenter

- I know a real world scezario with TC 11.2 having 3 license Servers ... 

Gears Phenom

@ArthurRM  - that isn't correct in TC11. It won't pick up the 2nd license server. It has to be done via the Org. I've tried and was also told it was unsupported in TC11. I did get it to work adding the license file in the Org and setting it to specific users, just like @Rizu mentioned.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.6/help#uid:xid1256816:index_plm00102:id922522:xid...

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?sort=desc&file_type=html&q=tc11+s...

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Gears Phenom

Good afternoon, @Jamie_Griffis, thanks for the reply. It looks like you're right, but it looks like I found a way to get him to add the license server to the organization application. If you first add them with a comma separator and stop the servermanager, and change the separator to a semicolon, run servermanager, then it works.

When you add a license server through the organization application, does it save it only there? If yes, then I’m wondering how it distinguishes multiple or failover license servers?

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
There is a default for the user. When additional license servers are available then it fails over. The Triad is still viable in tc_profilevars.bat SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER value but that's the only exception. @ArthurRM you found a bug that I wouldn't rely on since its not supported. @Jamie_Griffis has correctly stated the supported options.

@Rizu, after configuring the available license servers in Org, and you need specific people to access specific features in the license file without someone else grabbing them first (or by accident) then you need to add the "OPTIONS" argument to the VENDOR line in the license file itself. The file pointed to by the OPTIONS argument then contains who is allowed to access specific license features using GROUP or USER and INCLUDE or EXCLUDE statements. See the FlexLM help for more details.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks Arthur and Randy. What i observed is that the license server assigned at user level (let us saw as Server1) gets precedence, but if that license server does not contain certain features, but are available on the license servers defined in the SPLM_LICENSE_SERVER (considering both these license servers are not part of Trias), then the system picks those features from the trai license servers. Is this behavior OK?

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
I don't know which features you may be talking about. I believe this works for CAD integrations which grab the integration (floating) license when opening the managed CAD application but doesn't release it until the Teamcenter session is terminated (not when the CAD application is closed). So there are several special cases.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4