Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple languages support in Teamcenter

Phenom
Phenom

Good afternoon, we need to create data in Teamcenter in several different languages, mainly in the languages of the European Union. What do we need to do for this? For example, we need to create Items with the name in different languages. In Teamcenter Rich Client we will work in one language.

16 REPLIES

Betreff: Multiple languages support in Teamcenter

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Assuming your DB encoding is set to ISO8859-1 you're able to store values in the following languages: en_US;fr_FR;de_DE;it_IT;es_ES;pt_BR

(Find your current definition in <tc_root>\lang\textserver\no_translation\textsrv_text.xml)

To add localized values for 'object_name' of you desired business object set the property constant of 'object_name' to true. Deploy the template.

Now you get a globe icon next to the name attribute, where the user can add localized values.

You may check the rule tree on the 'translation' privilege. Users should get the privilege in working state, but deny in vault state.

You don't need to add additional languages to your BMIDE project, because the users running the RAC in one language only.

Michael
Teamcenter UA | NX CAD

Phenom
Phenom

Good afternoon Michael_Ruhnke, thank you for your reply. I think that I need to add information to my question. We are currently using NT-1251 and we need support for all possible European Union languages ​​in Teamcenter. In Oracle we have the encoding cl8mswin1251. In tc_profilevars.bat set TC_XML_ENCODING = windows-1251.
I think that we need to switch to unicode (UTF-8) both in Oracle and in Teamcenter, to support all languages.
I'm still studying the possibility of doing this with saving all the data in Teamcenter, there are not so many of them, but they still need to be saved.

Therefore, I would like to understand what I need to do this so that we can work in our national language, but be able to create, view and print data in other languages, mainly the European Union. I started reading the Localization Guide and something is already becoming clear, but not all.

Solution Partner Legend

Hm - I wouldn't switch to UTF-8 unless you really need multi-byte characters. But if you have to cover ALL European languages ... it might be not possible to avoid that move.

Keep in mind that you check all you TC ad's and utilities suppport UTF-8.

Michael
Teamcenter UA | NX CAD

Phenom
Phenom

We need to keep the support of the Cyrillic alphabet and add some languages of the European countries, I looked at the textsrv_text.xml file and it looks like there is no other way than to use UTF-8.
About utilities, do you mean custom utilities that are not part of OOTB?

I read this topic https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Teamcenter-Users-Forum/Unicode-support-in-Teamcenter...

Did you switch to UTF-8? Did you use Multi-Site to migrate data? Or another way of migration? Or are you faced with some problems and did not switch to UTF-8?

Solution Partner Legend

Yes, we did a migration from TC10 MSSQL ANSI to TC11.4 MSSQL UTF-8. Our customer has to have store localized attribute values in Japanese language.

We asked GTAC for the best approach. Siemens has less experience in migration of UTF-8 based MSSQL TC. They came with site consolidation tools and this means a lot of work (and money) for our customer. Additionally, we would need a licensed consultant to use the site consolidation tools - we haven't one.

So, we choose to go with a Multi-Site migration, although we know - it is not the best way. You must know that workflow data, ICS and project data are impossible to migrate via multi-site.

ICS and projects are out-of-scope, so we lost the workflow data on released revision. In total are less than 4k items in the DB ... it is manageable :-)

Multi-site data-transfer with ownership was easy. But all special characters like ÖÄÜßØ° are lost. So, we had to correct them afterwards. A little bit tricky, because they stored in localized attributes.

My initially approach was not to use Multi-Site but perform a migration on DB level. There are tools from Microsoft to convert the DB to UTF-8. You must get to know about the Teamcenter structure, but it is not a rocket science. Don't lose any data like Multi-Site. Unfortunately, I hadn't enough time to go that approach.

Michael
Teamcenter UA | NX CAD

Phenom
Phenom

Good afternoon, thank you for sharing your experience of moving to UTF-8, I think it will help us to migrate data

Phenom
Phenom

Michael_Ruhnke, is your Teamcenter corporate server installed on a Windows host? I read the documentation for installing Teamcenter 11.4 Windows Server Installation and there is a Warning in the UTF-8 installation section:

warning.png

Perhaps someone else installed Teamcenter in UTF-8? Can you confirm this? Our customization for the server (DLLs) will not work in Linux and we would not like to recompile them for Linux

Solution Partner Legend

Yes, they running on Windows Server

Michael
Teamcenter UA | NX CAD

Phenom
Phenom

Good afternoon, we installed the Teamcenter test database with UTF-8 on Oracle (Oracle has native support for UTF-8). But we are faced with the fact that Teamcenter creates a database for UTF-8 incorrectly, it creates it also if it was not a Unicode encoding, VARCHAR2 (128 BYTE) instead of VARCHAR2 (128 CHAR), which leads to the fact that languages, which use more than one byte will be limited in length, for example, if you use Chinese, then instead of 128 characters you can enter three times less.
This is a big problem for using multiple languages ​​in Teamcenter, and it's very strange why this is not implemented well in Teamcenter, and nothing is written about it in the documentation.
I think we need to create an IR on the GTAC.

Michael_Ruhnke, you use MS SQL Server, how many characters can you enter in the Item name in Japanese?