cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NX drawings: specification vs. item

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

We are currently in the process of evaluating TC for the company; we have a test environment set up. From what I have read in other threads/sites, it seems there are two schools of thought concerning saving NX drawings. One method is to save the drawing as a specification which then lives in the same item alongside the model. The other method is to save the drawing in its own item. We would like to rev the drawing separately from the model, so we are leaning toward individual items for the model and drawing.

However, we don't know enough about how TC works to commit to this method just yet. What are the pros/cons of each method? Experienced administrators: knowing what you know now, how would you set up a new site?

4 REPLIES

Re: NX drawings: specification vs. item

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Scott Pigman on his PLMDojo.com website gives a great explanation of the pros and cons of various drawing management methods in Teamcenter.

http://plmdojo.com/datamodel/store-drawings-teamcenter/#.VwvuLphf1D8

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks Larry. That's the best source of info on the subject that I've seen so far. I'm reading (and re-reading) the article, however I still have questions.

It sounds like if we want to rev the drawing separate from the model, we would need to go the separate item route, correct?

Also, someone in the comment section mentions that if the model and drawing are in separate items, the metadata may get out of synch. Coming from native NX, I'm not sure what metadata gets saved with the item in TC and how much of a headache does it create when it gets out of synch? It is this type of situation that worries me. We are making a decision, essentially ignorant of its ramifications, that will affect our operations for years to come. Are there other 'gotchas' if we separate the drawing and model?

Also, I should mention that the current test install is the 'rapidstart' version. From what I've seen so far, the rapidstart version seems to support either method of working. If we deploy a rapidstart install, will it place limitations on working with separate drawings/models?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

"It sounds like if we want to rev the drawing separate from the model, we would need to go the separate item route, correct?" - Yes.

If drawings and models are in separate Items then you have to manage the models and drawing separately which includes attributes, naming/numbering rules, release procedures/worfklows, etc. 

The biggest pitfall that I see is the inability to open an assembly and all of it's components related to their released drawings if you do not have them paired together in the same Item.  You may have lists and lists of released drawings but no official and synchronized 3D CAD model structure to match it.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Larry.

Good points that I'll mention to my team members for discussion.