Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Named reference file name after Dataset->SaveAs

Legend
Legend

When I've selected dataset (Text,MSWord,MSExcel etc) and choose SaveAs, file name in the named reference remain with the same name, like in first dataset.

Is there some way to manage this? I want the new iman_file name will corespond new dataset name

Example:

dataset name "MyDataset" and iman_file name "MyDataset.xls"

After SaveAs command new dataset created with name "MyDataset_2" but iman_file name will be  "MyDataset.xls"

9 REPLIES

Re: Named reference file name after Dataset->SaveAs

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Before I would search for solution, I do want to understand why you want to archive this?

What is the added (business) value to rename this file in the Named Reference of the Dataset on a Item Revision?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
To prevent collision when exporting assemblies/packages to the operating system. If the named reference matches the dataset name then life would be so much easier.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Thanks for the quick replay on my question.

I thought so, but wanted to be sure that was the reasoning to get the file name inside the Named Reference of the Dataset changed upon doing a Save-As or Revise.

To me, it seems that you are now trying to fix your export problem (that overwrites files on OS level) by changing how the content is stored in PLM. I think you should shift your focus more on this "Export" function to tailor it to get the desired output on OS level.

The Teamcenter output might be default to export the file with the original filename, but it can be tailored to export eg <itemid>_<revision>_<sequence>_<datasetname>.file extension. Or other file naming pattern based on the metadata properties of the item (revision, dataset,...). I have seen changes done to eg nx export or clone utilities at customers to get this working like they wanted it to happen, to fit in their filenaming and following their processes.

While this might be a bit more work, this way you are sure that however the data get in PLM, it always gets out like the way you want it to be and thus making the export process more rigid and consistent quality.

(The opposite can also be done for a kind of import functionality to get data into Teamcenter based on your filename pattern rules if you would want this)

Solution Partner Phenom
I don't know about @alex_c but I know I'd like to know more about how to rename files on export.

For instance, I know this would break the references in NX (wave, assemblies, etc.) as the real names (before he rename) are actually stored in the part file itself. You must use NX Clone to rename to maintain the referential integrity. NX is a special case so maybe we skip that one for now.

Being able to rename files (non-NX) upon export would be terrific. But don't you think that if the files were named correctly to begin with then all the extra work to rename on export would be unnecessary?

If you have a specific example that renames a file using a given pattern on export then I'd like to see it if you are able to share. BTW, glad you are on the forum as your answers are spot on.

Yes, you are absolutly right about that NX (and any other 3D CAD): never just rename those files and expect the assembly to be still working. NX Clone can do this on the fly by renaming the part AND to change the reference to that part in the exported 'upper' Assembly in one export batch session. That's the power of NX Clone.

So in the data, the CAD data always goes into a kind of "special" export to make it happen as it has a lot of extra requirements.

The good side is that for non CAD data, you just can get the renaming happening, it will not break something.

While I have seen this implementations, I can't share the actual data because its customer data and as such may not be distributed (company ownership & intellectual property). I will try to find out the principle and then share this as a kind of 'general approach'...

On the question: "extra work to rename on export would be unnecessary", it depends. You might also want an kind of import, so than you have also on that side some work to do anyway. Secondly, with default export you get eg [itemid]_[revID].prt for NX files, what if you want just [itemid].prt or a more extended one like [itemid]-[revid]-[name].prt

Also, if you do this export just once a year, you are right and then it's not worth the money to be invested, but if this happens on a daily basis, then it might be valuable to set the export to get a good consistent working export with same kind of quality every time.

And if you are working really close with another company or let them do some detailed work, you might have to look SRM or give them (limited) access to your environment.

Thanks for the credits, but you are also quite heavily answering on this forum as well, so please keep on doing that!

Regards,

Stanny

Legend
Legend

Hi

As @StannyS already meantioned it will give better control of the output if this is made through an export function. We use Catia, SolidWorks, NX and from all of them we create PDF,DXF and Step files along with the native files so our users can export these and send to a supplier for review and get a quote.

We have during the years seen that the naming is sometimes hard to control in these different CAD integrations and the way to go through Named References dialog is not smooth for an user having several files to export.

We have also now started to import also incoming files (step,dxf,iges) from our customers which e.g the procurment want to export to our suppliers. And these files they can be in many different naming formats which we now can control better inhouse.

So what we have is an Export funktion created using Java and ITK code through Exclipse development tool.

This we was recomended to use as it has a menu created inside Rich Client so the users have easy access and an standard naming convention no matter how and in what name the named reference have. 

With this tool we now manage the output so a user can select either:

[Item ID]-[Item Revision]-[Item name]

or

[Item ID]-[Item Revision]

in the dialog before the export is made. The user can also select in which folder the files shall be exported to.

It's also possible to select multiple files and do one export.

2018-08-03_22-46-41-880.png

Still with this export function we didn't get a perfect world.  As I meantioned we use SolidWorks integration Swim and with that the standard to name files is [Item ID].sldprt or [Item ID].slddrw and this is how it's shown when opening named reference dialog.

This OOTB function is not good as it creates frustration for the users if they want to open different revision at the same time, then Solidworks can't do it as the export into swim temp folder is as the named reference is stated, due to the same naming in two different revisions.
It also creates alot of problems if user have different revisions in various revision and are not aware that the part can be coming from a different revision than what the assembly was saved with.

To get this solved we needed to create a user exit function which controls the naming of the SolidWorks files when they are saved into Teamcenter.

So now we save all SolidWorks files like this [Item ID]-[Item Revision]-[Item name] using a user exit function before the user hits save in the dialog and now users feel they have control again over how the assemblies are managed in Teamcenter.

I whish these two functions would have been standard in Teamcenter and all CAD integrations so we as customer easily could have configured how files should be saved and exported.

Now we all (all Siemens customers) need to develop alot of custom code to get standard functionalty which could have been easy to implement from start or at least now 10 years after Unified Architecture was released it should have been there.

... went a bit out of topic with the last stuff but it was relating to Named References file name.

Jörgen Mähler, PLM Lead Hydro
TC11.5 | TcIC11.5 | Swim 11.4 | Supplier Collaboration
NX 11,12 | Catia V5 | Solidworks 2018 | AutoCad2018

Solution Partner Phenom

I wish I could give you a super kudo.

Especially for figuring out how to handle revisions with SolidWorks. Both SolidWorks and Creo (Pro/E) have the same issue of naming using ITEM_ID and not including the REV_ID. I've tried including the REV_ID which breaks the integration (swim/ipem respectively - both created by ITI). I've asked Peter Heath about this before but didn't get a satisfactory answer other than that's the way it's always been.

With NX, you can control the name to be exported using UGII_UGMGR_ITEMID_IS_OSFILE_NAME. A value of 1 will use the ITEM_ID only where removing it will get ITEM_ID and REV_ID. Not sure if this is controlled similarly w/CATIA.

It seems a crime that we need to control export/import naming conventions using custom ITK and that you have to pay extra for the ITK compiler. If custom code is required then the ITK compiler and the ability to run custom code should be free in my opinion.

Legend
Legend

Hi

Thx @RandyEllsworth , I'm glad for your positive feedback and it's nice to hear that I can contribute to the community! *almost blushing*

The revision handling was a struggle and demanded a lot of testing to cover all the variants that could occur. We solved most of them including we are able to use the clone function.

The tricky thing was to handle the Save As so the Model name in the Swim dialog was changed with new id and name and that the user could assign them independent.

I got some really good help with the programming from our partner which helped a lot!

It's all made in the Swimuserexit.txt file located under the [swim root folder]\com\transcendata\userexits and it can be compiled easily without any Visual Studio or similar.

... but it should all have been OOTB functionality and I can't understand why development hasn't picked this up as it can't be industry standard to manage the models with just Item Id especially if the users comes from an folder based environment into Teamcenter. When I have tried to get attention I was told it's working as designed and if something else is wanted use Swimuserexits but it's not supported to used anything else than item id in the file name.

If I compare with both NX and Catia and the Catia integration is really good and covers 90-95% of what we what as functionality and NX is almost on 100%.

Let's hope it comes a Swim release that is better in near future.  

Jörgen Mähler, PLM Lead Hydro
TC11.5 | TcIC11.5 | Swim 11.4 | Supplier Collaboration
NX 11,12 | Catia V5 | Solidworks 2018 | AutoCad2018

Legend
Legend

@StannyS wrote:

Before I would search for solution, I do want to understand why you want to archive this?

Some of our users use excel dataset as master template and need run Save As command to create their own excel dataset based on this template. Later they perform export file to OS and in this point as you notice we have trouble with same os file names in template dataset and working