Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need for Organization hierarchy best practice

Builder
Builder

Hi all.

I'm looking for a best practice of organization hierarchy containing the groups, roles, and so on. I've TC users of different units, R&D (CAD Dept, Electronic Dept), Manufacturing, Management, QC and I want to map them to TC, according to expected roles and access permissions on data. Actually I'm not sure about the predefined user groups and roles in TC and their access or limitations.

I need a best practice or any common experience of similar companies from you.

Thanks

2 REPLIES

Re: Need for Organization hierarchy best practice

Legend
Legend

@sma wrote:

Hi all.

I'm looking for a best practice of organization hierarchy containing the groups, roles, and so on. I've TC users of different units, R&D (CAD Dept, Electronic Dept), Manufacturing, Management, QC and I want to map them to TC, according to expected roles and access permissions on data. Actually I'm not sure about the predefined user groups and roles in TC and their access or limitations.

I need a best practice or any common experience of similar companies from you.

Thanks

You can organize  groups  by any way. Usually groups/roles are mapped according your company department organization.

Predefined TC groups is DBA, Engineering or Design for example. Engineering/Electronic groups usually correspond CAD depts, Manufactoring groups - manufactoring depts accordingly.

Re: Need for Organization hierarchy best practice

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
I agree that the tc organization is flexible but I disagree that it should match your company organization and should instead be a "functional" group/role. In other words, by functionality. Functionality is usually determined by processes and actions so a deep understanding of your internal and external processes as they relate to the people/resources is needed to build your tc organization. Pay attention to permissions and access and where they differ. A balance is desired between the number of group/role combinations and how often the user has to change them in order to get their daily work done. Keep your group/role simple but no simpler.

Groups vary but many don't take into account Corporate (like Sales, PMO or Boards). Minimize the sub-group levels when possible as CAD integrations have had a hard time with them in the past. I strive to keep groups flat by leveraging the name instead of creating sub-groups.

I like to keep Roles generic, so instead of Designer or Drafter, I use Author or Member (respectively). List of Roles I normally employ: Admin, Author, Member, Reviewer and Viewer.

Remember, the tc organization is foundational for everything else in tc. Spending the time to get it right pays huge dividends down the road.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4