Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New csv2tcxml.perl utility

Genius
Genius

Hello;

This is from help:

"

The TC_DATA \csv2tcxml_perl\csv2tcxml.perl utility described here is deprecated and support will be removed in a future release.

The replacement utility is TC_DATA \csv2tcxml\csv2tcxml.perl (named the same, but stored in a different directory). This replacement utility is recommended for new data migrations. Refer to the CSV2TCXML Converter Guide in the TC_DATA \csv2tcxml directory for instructions on its use.

"

I have not any experience of using this utility so I'm not sure if I should start with new version!!!?

To use New csv2tcxml.perl utility, does it needs enabling? Is the procedure the same as the old version?

Thanks.

BR.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: New csv2tcxml.perl utility

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@JFK1963  - always use the latest version of csv2tcxml.perl. I've never had a problem with using a newer version of this with an older version of TC. I've even made manual updates to it per instructions from dev until the newer versions are released. You can copy the newer version into your folder, then you'd rerun it just like you'd do when you set it up or make a BMIDE update. You can open it in Notepad++ and see the notes at the top of what was updated in the new version. 

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Gears Phenom

@JFK1963 - I was reading the documentation further on the new csv2tcxml.perl. Anything loaded with an older csv2tcxml.perl vs the new one are not compatible and the query_db option will not work with previously objects imported with the older csv2tcxml. I'd guess you'd have to do a PUID lookup to reference the other objects with the new tool, but I'm still trying to figure that out. Currently, it seems you have your choice to use either csv2tcxml utility (for now) but if you've never done any migration in the past with your enviroment, now is the time to use the new tool.

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/12.1/help#uid:xid1256823:index_plm00094:xid733527:xi...

Genius
Genius

@Jamie_Griffis 

Thanks so much for informing me.

Actually I have not done any migration yet and I have plan to use the new utility but I'm interested to know the differences anyway so I'm working on this subject hard.

Thanks so much.

Gears Phenom

@JFK1963  - If you've done nothing, go with the new utility. It looks like they expanded the capabilities plus they changed from a configuration file to an ini (or multiple ini files) to set your options and settings. It looks like it doesn't need to use the llschema anymore and you can selectively pick and chose what templates you want to work with. This is interesting but not sure if this is good or bad yet. I don't have time this week, but I hope to spend some time on it soon to figure out all the differences.