Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

ODS as a separate site, or feature of master site?

Quick (maybe) question...

Years ago when we first stood up multi-site, Siemens Services configured our ODS as a feature in our main database. 

We have 3 sites running 10.1.4

-Americas (ODS and central registry)

-Europe

-Asia Pacific

We generally have 50-60 concurrent users at normal working hours in Americas and AP, usually 30 in EU. There is some overlap in time, but that should give you a basic idea of load. Almost all users are using NX and generally using TC as a CAD vault and workflow system.

I know that the ODS can be setup in its own dedicated site, but services said there wasn't a need for us to do it that way. We generally don't use the ODS or remote queries. We have an internal proceedure that our power users follow and handle remote exports as needed. Most of our data isn't published and we really haven't had a need to.

We are now at a point where our users could benefit of using the Remote query to identify which site specific data resides. It is easy enough to publish our items, but I would like some feedback on possible performance implications of maintaining the ODS in our Americas database or any other concerns that our TC Gurus may have. I'd plan on publishing data as part of a release workflow or on item creation, haven't decided yet.

Thanks for all the feedback!

3 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author wundej
‎06-01-2016 10:27 AM

Re: ODS as a separate site, or feature of master site?

Object Directory Services (ODS) is pretty lightweight. You can think of it like the card catalog in a library. The cards have Item ID and a couple of other properties only. The impact of maintaining the ODS at your main site is minimal. The high-impact things are IDSM (and other export/import tools). The registry is just a table so your main site will have a table that the other sites don't. I would leave the configuration alone. It is sound.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Thanks Randy, I figured it wouldn't be much of an issue since there isn't much going on in that area of the DB.

Out of curiosity, what are the benefits of separating the ODS into its own database? Network topology/security where certain sites may not have access to each other?

I don't have a good use-case for it. I guess the best benefit that I can think of is the separation of duties from any particular site say, if your main site (business unit) was sold and only the remaining satellites were valid then you would have to figure out how to move the ODS and registry to another database. However, you would incur the cost of another database so not so much of a benefit.
Frankly, today I'd recommend the hub-and-spoke (hub has all released data while spokes only have wip) or a site consolidation to a single site. Rarely is multisite cost effective anymore.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2