Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

OTW and Distribution Server

I have a questions.

I heard that OTW is used to istall Rich client on client side.

But when I try to run the 4 Tier rich client, OTW command (like cmd)is opened.

Why is this OTW  opend?

And OTW is trying to get the necessary Rich client file such as Jar file and dll file from Distribution Server  to run 4 tier rich client every time the user try to login to TC?

7 REPLIES

Re: OTW and Distribution Server

There are two processes running in OTW. RMI listens for clients and redirects to the Distribution Server for action. Both RMI and Distribution Server can be run in a process window or they can be run as a service. When the client connects to the Distribution Server for the first time then the whole rich client package is downloaded and installed on the client. After the rich client is installed and a client connects again then the metafile on the client is compared to the metafile on the server to see if there have been any updates. If there are updates then they are installed before the login window is presented to the user. For this to work correctly, the user will need admin rights on the client or a group policy can be created granting the user write access to the directory where the rich client is installed. If neither of these are allowed then a user will get a message that the update failed and an admin will need to login to update the rich client. I don't like that last option and usually recommend that customers use TEM to install the rich client (and updates) instead of using OTW. So OTW has some restrictions, that once followed, make an admin's life a little easier.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

When I look at the graph below, at first client side connect to OTW and OTW connect to Distribution server. And Distribution server directly return the file to the client.
Especially in the 4 Tier, Client connect to OTW through web application server.  Then if my first explanation is correct, Distribution server return necessary file to the client through Web application server. My explanation is correct?

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gimec
‎10-12-2016 12:05 AM

The Web Application Server (WAS) isn't involved until the user fills in the login page. The download and install are all handled by the Distribution Server as noted in your installing.html image.

Thank you so much. 
I can understand it.

@RandyEllsworth, I am trying to configure OTW for TC 11.2.1

for that, i have configured Distribution Server as well as Distribution Instance, I have provided install images of 11.2 as well as 11.2.1 while configuration.

but OTW installer installing only Base version (11.2) and not 11.2.1

What other things do we need for patching?

You will need the following software for INSWEB:

• Tc11.2.1_wntx64.zip

Install INSWEB using Tc11.2.1_wntx64\wntx64\Web_tier\INSTALL_TCWEB.EXE

You will need the following software for Distribution Server and Distribution Instance:

• Tc11.2.0_otw.zip
  • Tc11.2.1_otw.zip

Load ICD's from:

• Tc11.2.0a\Tc11.2.0_otw\icd
  • Tc11.2.1_otw\otw\icd

You're ready to create the Distribution Server. Give it a meaningful name like "otwsvr" and use the same for the last entry in the staging location to make it easily recognizable.

Disk Locations:

• Remove E:\Windows
  • Add Tc11.2.0a\Tc11.2.0_otw
  • Add Tc11.2.1_otw\otw

Provide port numbers instead of "0" (range of ports) which makes firewall exceptions difficult:

• RMI Port 12099
  • Remote Object Port 12098
  • File Transfer Port 12097

The Distribution Server solution will be installed. Now create services using srvany and giving them meaningful names:

• TeamcenterOTWRMI
  • TeamcenterDistServer

You're ready to create the Distribution Instance. Give it a meaningful name based on the feature set like "4tNX" or "4tMSO" and use the same for the last entry in the staging location to make it easily recognizable.

Ensure the Disk Locations are the same as the before (they reset if you close INSWEB and you have to define them again).

Choose your features and build the solution. The important thing to remember is the Disk Locations based on what you described.

Note: If you're like me then you create custom ICD's. You'll have to load your custom ICD and give the Disk Location for the custom package.

Good luck!

[ Edited ]

Thanks a lot @RandyEllsworth

Only thing i have missed out from the above procedure is that i need to run "install_tcweb.exe" from patching installables instead of base installables.

Regards,

Ganesh