Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Open a DXF from Teamcenter

[ Edited ]

Tc 10.1.2

NC11

What would we need to do, to allow a DXF file stored in Teamcenter, to be opened by the computers default application for DXF's?  or would we have to declare what program to open the DXF with?

Currently, when you double click the DXF you get an "Unable to open" error.  Teamcenter seems to recognize it at a DXF, by showing the DXF icon.

Example, I'd like to have the design engineers double click the DXF, and have it open XpresReview, so they can verify it looks correct.  I would like to have the machine shop double click the DXF, and have it open in their waterjet cutting software.

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
6 REPLIES

Re: Open a DXF from Teamcenter

On Windows, you have to set XpressReview as the default application for DXF files and then the MIME type association does the rest.

Arden Bedell | Teamcenter Wonk | Applied CAx, LLC

On the OS when I double click a .dxf file, it opens in XpresReview, but it does not if it is in Teamcenter.  I thought I had to tell Tc what to do, if the file was double clicked on?

-Dave

On a non-Windows client you would be correct. Windows registers the file extensions and knows what application to launch based on that extension.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

The vast majority of our users are on Windows 8,1, but currently everyone has to download the DXF out of Teamcenter, before they can open it in whatever program they use.  Ideally, I'd like the waterjet operator to be able to double click the DXF in Teamcenter, and have it open in their cutting software.  Goal is to reduce the number of out dated DXF copies.

Not being a Tc guy, I'm confused.  I *thought* we had to do something when we started putting MS Excel and Word docs in Tc to get them to open with a double click, but I could be mistaken.

-Dave
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author DaveK
‎01-18-2017 12:55 PM

You could be correct. MS Excel and MS Word did/does have extra configuration requirements if you want to see them in the viewer. This was due to a change MS made to IE (neva browser?). Don't know of any extra configuration for the double-click behavior. You still have to add Datasets to BMIDE and declare the extension(s) and tool but you don't have to say where the tool lives or how to start it on Windows.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

I bet the BMIDE bit is what I'm missing...need to get our BMIDE guy to check on that.  

Thanks!!

-Dave