cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimising licenses for CAD users

Experimenter
Experimenter

We've been using Solid Edge for a number of years now, and we're looking into integrating TC into our system to modernise the workflow, ensure proper tracability and revision level of our CAD data. 

I am astonished that the CAD users will require 3 licenses to run Solid Edge and use TC (Solid Edge, Team Center Author, Solid Edge Embedded Client). How can I optimise the number of licenses that my CAD designers need to use on a daily basis? Is it possible to share these licenses, I guess Author could be shared although I may be wrong, or have them in one package? Do the number of Author licenses need to equal the number of Solid Edge embedded licenses?

With thanks for your feedback,

Stephen

5 REPLIES

Re: Optimising licenses for CAD users

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Only three licenses per user? Count yourself lucky.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

If you do any license tracking, you'll already know the answer.  I track our license usage and chart it over time. Most people, before I show them overwise, assume that they need to buy a complete set of licenses for every user. They are then surprised when I show them how little their licenses are actually used every day.

Take for example a group of 10 users.  Many people assume that you'll need 10 sets of licenses; one for each user.  However, through license monitoring, it is almost always discovered that the average concurrent usage may only be 3-4 licenses with a peak of 5-6 every day.  That means that several licenses go unused regularly. The larger the user base the more waste of licensing there will be.

I would suggest monitoring your current CAD users license usage of Solid Edge first. Then from that determine how many CAD integration licenses you actually need rather than a one for one match up.

You'll need a Tc  Author for every TC user, but you don't need a CAD and CAD integration license for every user.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,
Highlighted

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

OpenLM is a pretty good starting point for assessing license usage.

https://www.openlm.com/ 

Arden Bedell | Teamcenter Wonk | Applied CAx, LLC

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thanks for the advice. I'll start by tracking our current license usage and go from there.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Some additional information.

You have to check if your licenses are floating or named user.

•  Floating means that you have a pool of licenes and the users just pick one of them when they really use the software.
  • Named user is a fixed licenes for each user.

In your situation it is maybe be like this:

Solid Edge license (foundation, classic, ...) = floating

Solid Edge Embedded client = floating

Teamcenter author = named user