Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle 12.2 compatibility with TC11

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi All,

I saw in the TC11 platform matrix that TC11.2.3 supports Oracle 12.1.0.2 or higher.

There is also a line "Oracle 12.2 is not yet certified with new deployment architecture"

My question is:

A. Does TC11.3 support Oracle 12.2 now ?

B. What does the new deployment architecture mean?

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES

Re: Oracle 12.2 compatibility with TC11

Phenom
Phenom

Good afternoon, you asked an interesting question according to the TC11 platform matrix Teamcenter 11.x does not support Oracle 12.2

As far as I understand it is about Multitenant Architecture
https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/CNCPT/part_consol.htm#CNCPT89233

But since Teamcenter 11.5 there is such support:
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.5/help/#uid:xid1256814:index_server_win:partdbins...

According to the same documentation, Teamcenter 11.3 does not support Multitenant Architecture.
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.3/help/#uid:xid1256814:index_server_win:partdbins...

But according to the Oracle blog, you can Oracle 12.2 create a non-CDB (or stand-alone) architecture (not Multitenant Architecture)

https://blogs.oracle.com/upgrade/non-cdb-still-exists-in-oracle-database-122

I think that you can install Teamcenter 11.3 if you install Oracle 12.2 and create a non-CDB database architecture

Pioneer
Pioneer

Thanks @ArthurRM ! I sure had a good discussion with my DB team guys on this topic.

But Though the TC11.5 doc link says it supports 12c multitenant architecture, my concern is that will I have Siemens support for any performance issues when they explicitly say "Oracle 12.2 doesnot support TC11.x".

I was planning to upgrade to TC11.3 (considering other OS & app compatability), I would need to go with Oracle 12.1.0.2 though DB guys feel 12.2 is more stable. But anyway to obtain Siemens support I have only option, to have TC11.3 with Oracle 12.1.0.2 

Siemens Valued Contributor Siemens Valued Contributor
Siemens Valued Contributor

Supported and certified are different things...

"I saw in the TC11 platform matrix that TC11.2.3 supports Oracle 12.1.0.2 or higher."

Supported because higher versions of the third party products are suported, on the basis of vendor claims of upward compatibility. i.e. Siemens will invesitgate and fix if possible (so there are some caveats here)

"There is also a line "Oracle 12.2 is not yet certified with new deployment architecture""

Certified means has been develeped and tested against as part of the softwares release cycle.

i.e. certified is a subset of supported.

Regards

Creator
Creator
Non-CDB architecture will be deprecated sometimes in the distant future, but Oracle 12 (and probably 13) still have the Non-CDB architecture available. From oracle's perspective using Non-CBD is no issue and in fact it is probably the default for most oracle db installations.

In Oracle 12.1 CDB was new and you could feel this when trying to use it. It has a lot of caveats, not working "advantages" and requires quite some changes in how you use or operate it. I would certainly not use 12.1 CDB in a production environment in that state. 12.2 looks much more mature in that regards.

CDB is a paid licences option of Enterprise Edition and will cost you additional money. You should ask yourself whether you plan to use any of the proposed advantages of CDB. Otherwise sticking to Non-CDB is cheaper, easier to use and introduces less headaches from the new features and behaviour.

Kind Regards
Thomas

Phenom
Phenom

Good afternoon, I'm pretty sure that you will have no problems if you use Oracle 12.2 in non-CDB mode. If in doubt, write your question to GTAC.

I'd rather use a newer version of Oracle, since they usually have a lot of useful improvements, fixed problems, and closed security holes.

Builder
Builder

@ArthurRM

After I copy the templates and start oracle database configuration assistant it show 2 template with the same name"tc" and both of them are CDB enabled. what is wrong? any idea?

Thanks.

BR. 

Phenom
Phenom

Good afternoon, @JFK1963. I see that other users have questions on how to create a non-CDB database in Oracle for Teamcenter. I will show it on the example of Oracle 12.2 and Teamcenter 11.3, from this topic.

To create a database for Teamcenter 11.3, I need to merge the contents of the folders:

TC11.2.0a\tc\db_scripts\oracle
and
Tc11.3_wntx64\wntx64\tc\db_scripts\oracle

and copy the merged contents of these folders into ORACLE_HOME\assistants\dbca\templates

I’ll continue the detailed description from step 4: Start Oracle Database Configuration Assistant (DBCA)

https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.3/help#uid:xid1256814:index_server_win:partdbinst...

1.png

Select Advanced configuration option and click Next

2.png

Select tc option and click Next

21.png

In the next step, we can control which type of database we want to create CDB or none-CDB:

3.png

Teamcenter 11.3 does not support the CDB type, so I disable the Create as Container database option and click Next:

4.png

I will not describe further steps, I will post only the result of creating the database:

5.png

@JFK1963 addition for you: 

I think you need to clear the ORACLE_HOME\assistants\dbca\templates folder from the previously copied Teamcenter templates and merge the templates as I described above and copy them into ORACLE_HOME\assistants\dbca\templates, in my screenshot below, the Teamcenter templates are highlighted I copied to ORACLE_HOME\assistants\dbca\templates (don't delete the default Oracle templates, they are not highlighted)

scripts.png