Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organization restructuring and ownership of existing objects

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

We have started with a "department" based Teamcenter organization, which at the time seemed like a logical thing to do.

Now we are expanding the use of Teamcenter and are adding authors in different steps of ous process. This demands new access rights that vary throughout the process.

Example:

User A from sales, user B from engineering and user C from assembly are all working together in the same folder.

User A should have no write access to objects from user B and C and vice versa.

User D is managing the folders and will be the only user capable of creating the folders where users A, B and C are working together.

It's working with projects without the use of Teamcenter Projects.

To support this, we want/need to change the organization structure.

Creating this structure is a relatively simple task. Don't think we need help with that.

What I'd like to know is, what do we do with the 300.000+ existing items?

I think we need to change ownership, else the users are not able to revise/modify their data, right?

Approach suggestions are much appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Organization restructuring and ownership of existing objects

@rda you asked if moving users to different Groups will cause their write access to be denied.  The answer depends on your access rules.   For example, in some cases, our access rules grant write access to member of the Owning Group.   So if we moved all the users to another Group, then they would no longer be members of the Owning Group and would therefore no longer be granted write access.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@CraigPoulson Thanks for your feedback.

That's exactly the problem here.

The owning group will not exist after the restructuring, so users will not have write access to objects in the owning group they were in previously.

Is there a smart and hopefully fast way to transfer ownership?

Yes, there are several ways to change ownership and it's not too painful.  The most straightforward way is to use RAC.

I probably don't need to mention that the user account you use must be granted access to change ownership on all the data.

If you are pedantic like me, you should turn on the display of the Item Master and Item Revision Master forms.  You actually don't need to change the ownership on the Master Forms because they inherit access from their parent but I like everything to be owned by the same User/Group.

Again, this is just one way to do it:

1. Query for a batch of Items (say 1000) that need ownership changed

2. In the Search Result tab, highlight all the Items

3. Expand one level (note: if none of the Items have product structure, or links to other Items, you can just expand to all levels and skip to step 7).

4. Now with all the Items and Item Revisions shown, highlight them all (both Items and Item Revisions) again

5. Again, expand one level

6. Now you should see all the Items, Item Revisions, and Datasets

7. Highlight them all and choose Edit => Change Owner

Ah, now I see that you have walked me into a corner.  You are going to say that you want all the users to retain their user ownership, right?  If so, I would next consider using PLMXMML.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks, I think I follow.

Lets try this with some numbers and a slightly different approach.

I could use the "General" search query to search for any object owned by each of the authors in each of the groups they are part of. This will eliminate the need for time consuming "expansion" actions in RAC and will ensure all objects of any type are in scope.

The bonus of this approach is the ability of setting the user specific ownership in the correct destination group you mentioned (I probably should make a from->to mapping for that).

The numbers:

I have 13 authors that own objects in 3 groups (leafs at the bottom of the organization).

So, if all users are member of each group (which they don't), this would result in 39 query's.

But these queries should also be cut in parts of, lets say the 1000 objects you suggested.

If we have around 160.000 items and 180.000 documents, the amount of objects that need ownership transfer will be at least (item, item revision, dataset and a form we don't show/use) 4 times that, almost 1,4 million!

Processing time of lets say 7 min per batch (query and transfer) results in four and a half hours processing time.

Still, we're talking about a lot of objects an thus a lot of queries.

I wounder if this could be done in one day?

How would a PLMXML approach look like?

I have no experience with PLMXML and what it can do.

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
@rda, @CraigPoulson, thanks for illuminating the perils of changing the Organization structure late in the game. Organization is foundational to Teamcenter as everything depends on it. That's why a functional approach is critical and this conversation can serve as a warning to others not to simply map their company structure which is fluid and can change regularly. It's not an easy task to change the Organization in Tc. Now back to your postings...

@rda, it is not an easy task for a reason. There are tools and there are third parties that can help (with a cost). BTW, I consider Siemens PLM Services a third too.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks @RandyEllsworth,

I think that when this could be done in one or two days, this would be an acceptable investment.

We could ask our partner, but I don't know whether they will/can come up with a different solution that costs less than two days, plus this is cash out consultancy which involves management decisions and other bureaucracy. But that's also what I like to find out. If for instance I need to spend a day consultancy to use PLMXML to process the transfer in an hour, this could also be the way to go.

Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
Solution Partner Esteemed Contributor
For the speed you require, your most likely option is LL TCXML (low level TCXML) but very few know how to use it effectively and it does require significant planning and practice before running in Production. After finding an expert, plan on 8-10 days of experimentation and practice in a Test/QA environment before the actual execution of 1 day in Production. Those are estimated minimum times.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Verry usefull information @RandyEllsworth !

Phenom
Phenom
IPS. A Siemens tool which you can purchase (you can in the uk)

You might be able to utilise plmxml. Export the revision using a transfer mode which exports the owning group, edit the file by replacing owning group and import.
Richard Bennett
Prospect PLM