Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Part numbering intergrated with NX12

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello

I want to use the following part numbering convention.

PROJECT - ABC - XYZ - 0001 Where ABC and XYZ are attributes and the counter on the end is defined by the comnination of the project and the two attributes. 

I beleive this is possible using alternate numbering but the downsides are that its a large overhead in BMIDE and when I create a new part in NX I have to scroll through every single combination of projects and attributes to define a number.

Does anyone know of an alternative method for creating a numbering system as described above that is intergrated into NX without a administration overhead?

I am using NX 12 and TC 11.

Thanks for your help

4 REPLIES

Re: Part numbering intergrated with NX12

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I created an ID Generator that has 1450 different concatenation rules and conditions to work. It looks terrible in BMIDE but there has been basically no performance issues in the RAC when assigning a number. I am not positive about NX, but for Solid Edge and SWIM the new ID Generator will not work yet in the integration. You have to create the item in TC first. I have other ideas on how to attempt to handle this but I've never tried it out, so I don't want to lead you down a path I've not tried yet.  My opinion - this is one of the many reasons why smart part numbering is a bad idea.

Jamie

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I agree with @Jamie_Griffis, smart numbers are a bad idea until all the CAD integrations support them. NX12 was supposed to be the first version to support them however it looks like Siemens may have pushed it off to a later release.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply’s guys - what do they do in the car / aerospace industry where they have industry standard naming conventions like ATA100?

Anyone know when smart numbering will be fully integrated into NX, will it come in later releases of NX 12 or is it going to be the next major release?

Thanks again

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
That's a good question for GTAC. They may ask the product manager and he may have a response. Usually they don't talk about something until its released though unless you see them at the Siemens PLM Connection.
http://www.siemensplmconnectionamericas.org/

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4