cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro & Con between using .NET vs J2EE for TC Server Manager?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi TC Admin(s),

Per your experiences, would you be able to tell/describe the Pro & Con between using .NET vs J2EE for your TC Server Manager?

Thanks,

Harley.

7 REPLIES

Re: Pro & Con between using .NET vs J2EE for TC Server Manager?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Hi Harley,

It comes down to a company's preference. MS SQL shops like to keep all things "Windows" and prefer .NET implementations. Oracle shops usually like things to be J2EE. Both preform equally well and scale nicely.

It used to be that J2EE had to run in command windows which prevented the admin from logging off the server or risk killing their running processes. The latest version of Tc has J2EE running as a service so that drawback is gone.

Either is good. I prefer .NET on my own installations because I'm using SQL Server.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I've worked with both.  I prefer the .NET due to ease of administration.  IMHO, there's too much of editing files on J2EE and dealing with SSL certs is more of a pain than .NET.  Performance-wise, I haven't noticed a difference.

A downside to using .NET is that it required a specific version of Windows Server, so if you like to set up test/dev environments on Windows 7 or a WinServer version different than desired, you're SOL.  Then the J2EE is more appealing.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Yes, we run SQL server as well and configure J2EE for Server Manager.  I haven't ran into any problem with J2EE till start TC 10.1.x/11.2.x Teamcenter Management Console was introduced.  GTAC was not able to provide the solution to start it as a service and i had to check with PD in order to get the solution for it.

I am thinking of moving to .NET since it is simple and not require JBoss.

Any tuning in IIS and .NET when running Server Manager that you suggest?

Thanks,

Harley.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Larry,

Since we already run IIS for SSO Kerberos authentition, i am thinking of moving away from J2EE/Jboss and implementing .NET to test it out.

However, i am not pretty sure how .NET handling TcRA.  Thoughts?

Thanks,

Harley.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

The required roles for IIS are clearly stated in the documentation. The server manager settings in .NET are identical to the pool manager settings in J2EE. You'll be on familiar ground once IIS is installed. One piece of advice is to check the Application Pool setting after the .NET Web Tier is installed. The installer fails to connect to the correct application pool (connects to Default).

IIS-ApplicationPool.PNG

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I don't know anything about TcRA, so I cannot comment. 

There are a number of performance tips for IIS and .NET both in general and Teamcenter specific.  The Teamcenter specific stuff can be found in past PLM World presentation downloads (www.plmworld.org).  Microsoft has a ton of info about IIS tuning.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Randy,

I will check it out!

Thanks,

Harley.

ps: i may install both .NET and J2EE features and will feel/test them out at the same time.