cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Querying database.. download Folder and its contents?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi!

I am still relatively new to Teamcenter. I have successfully download files using the FMU, but am a bit stuck.

Right now I am running executeSavedQueries on my QueryInput. I am able to run it and successfully find my folder and information about it using a Folder Name search query.

However it seems I am not able to download the file? If I search for a specific file via the 'Dataset Name' query I can download my files no problem.

Is there a different procedure for downloading folders from TCUA to the client?

19 REPLIES

Re: Querying database.. download Folder and its contents?

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor
You cannot download folders or it contents which are called as Business Objects in Teamcenter.
The only downloadable or physical data in Teamcenter is files (named references) on Dataset.

Pioneer
Pioneer

@Amol_XPLM Thank you much for the succinct and speedy reply.

So once I located my folder via a query, how do I iterate through its contents and download all its files?

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Objects inside folder are attached with relation 'contents'. So you can read property named Contents on Folder object.
Use method GetItemAndRelatedObjects to get datasets directly or get ItemRevision and then get datasets using relation properties like IMAN_specification. Use property 'ref_list' on dataset to get files.

Genius
Genius

Hi,

Select all files inside the folder that needs to be downloaded (you can use Ctrl for multiple selection).

Tools->Export->ToPLMXML

In the new Export dialog,

Export Directory= <your computer local directory>

TransferMode= ConfigureDataFilesExportDefault

Regards

NaveenGM

Creator
Creator

I'm still confused on the PLMXML utility.  When I do the export as suggested all I get is an XML file.  How do I download the actual PDF/DXF/STEP, etc files?

Is a custom ITK program the only way to go?  Why is it so hard to get my data back out of teamcenter without having to manually click through the interface?

It seems like there would be something Siemens would offer where I could provide a TCID of a dataset and have it download all the files in that dataset.

Genius
Genius
If it is CAD data like Solid edge or any other CAD data, When you open, it downloads in Cache folder, You take take files from them. If all files linked to drawing, opening drawing will bring all data to cache folder, sameway assy.

Did you try any utility?

Creator
Creator

Generally it is STEP, JT, PDF, DXF files. 

We send out RFQ's to vendors, typically with 10-20 tools we want them to quote.  Or same thing for Purchase Orders.  We need to have our purchasing department be able to be able to submit a list of Tool #'s and have it pull the related files to send to our vendors for quote/purchase.

I'm starting to look more into the PLMXML export as a possibility, but it's a lot to learn for what seems like a simple task.

I don't want to ask purchasing to manually pull up each tool, choose "named references" and download the files.

Thanks!

Genius
Genius
If you put small example with files, provide them, we can also help you. that's how we learn each other. this same situation may come to us also

Pioneer
Pioneer

rslvd