Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Releasing a Top level Assembly containing Sub-assemblies with different maturity statusses.

Creator
Creator

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone of you could help me out.

I've gotten an  request from our business to complement our companies release workflow.
Which is able to release Parts to our ERP system.

They want to be able to release Assemblies that may or may not contain subassemblies.
Prereqisite to fully release the assy is that all underlying Subassemblies are released. Its okay that underlying children that are single parts to not have a status at all. Workflow must Stop when subassies are not fully relaeased. And notify the process owner.

In the beginning of the worklow i add all children of the Toplevel assy as targets to the workflow.  after that i added a handler that removes all parts/assy/s that have a released status. Since these do not have to be released again. but now im stuck.. how do i check that the sub-assies are released or not?  Anyone aware of a handler (set) for this?

5 REPLIES

Re: Releasing a Top level Assembly containing Sub-assemblies with different maturity statusses.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Why not just use the assembly status progression path handler, PS-check-assembly-status-progression, instead?

You can define a progression path (e.g. Released) that subcomponents must match before the WF will apply the same status to the asembly.

BTW, why wouldn't you status children of subassys?  Statusing an assy level object does very little for the integrity of a product structure if the components in it are also not locked down from change.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Re: Releasing a Top level Assembly containing Sub-assemblies with different maturity statusses.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Larry has identified your stumbling block. By not requiring parts/components to be released then you can never validate that subs are released. An assembly isn't released unless everything under it is released, including components. By making this business change then you can take advantage of existing functionality.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Creator
Creator

@LarryCarpenter Thank you, i will look into that.

Thing is,  Sub assy's do need to be released first. Therefore the to be build workflow has to notify the WF initiator that he has to look at the sub assies first if not all children are released on forehand.

Creator
Creator
Maybe I need to clarify a bit more.

F.e. the Top level Assy contains 10 components. 5 sub assyscontatining several single parts with a certain release status and 5 parts with a certain release status. Its okay that the single parts have no status. But the sub-assys must be released.
This makes it more difficult to use the handler you proposed is suppose.

Phenom
Phenom

It sounds like our setups are similar. We dont use status progression.

I have created one workflow that uses attaches all WIP children from all levelsattach children.JPG

If your requirment is for the Targets to be released are only Assemblies, then create a query which just return revisions with a BVR and use -reference argument to move any revisions which dont have a BVR to the reference folder where they can then be removed from the workflow.

Does this help?

Rich

Richard Bennett
PLM Consultant
www.ProspectPLM.co.uk