cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove old sequences

Phenom
Phenom

Recently we have set  TCDefaultKeepLimit to 1, but previously it was set to the default 3.  Is there a command to purge all of the older sequences from the database?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
9 REPLIES

Re: Remove old sequences

Genius
Genius

Use perge_datasets with -k option. You may want to use that with -set option.

---

Thanks and Regards

Yogesh Fegade

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Changing the default for TCDefaultKeepLimit from 3 to 1 can have unintended consequences when dealing with CAD data. A better approach when dealing with sequence numbers for ItemRevision is to target TCDefaultKeepLimitByType and change the argument for ItemRevision 1.

You can perform one-off purging in the Rich Client by selecting the object and using Edit > Purge (DBA role). If you get POM_M_LOCKS or POM_R_LOCKS reported in the syslog then you may need to run clearlocks (after hours if 4tier).

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Phenom
Phenom

What kind of "unintended consequences" are we talking about?

We don't want to cause any more problems, than these sequences are already causing me.

-Dave

Solution Partner Phenom

For instance, your Designer makes a goof in NX and wants to go back to before the goof. You cannot because you only have one version of the Dataset. If you allow the keep limit to remain at 3 then your Designer could revert to a previous version before the goof. Unless you have perfect Designers of course. Smiley Wink

Controlling sequence numbers using the ByType preference allows you to keep ItemRevisions at 1 while the normal Datasets are at 3.

Phenom
Phenom

10-4.

This is what frustrates me with Teamcenters help docs...I've been trying to find out what these sequences are for, and until now no one has mentioned them as being a data backup for designer mistakes, or currupt files.  I do NOT want to remove that safety factor.

-Dave

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The keep limit for datasets is not a sequence it is an iteration.

A sequence is mostly used for items and item revisions.

These were introduced when it was possible to handle form data through the properties of the item/revision directly.

Sequences are tracking the edits of meta data and not how often a dataset is saved.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Solution Partner Phenom

Stefan, Explaining sequences is hard. Forgive me for using inappropriate terminology. I agree that a sequence is a record of the object content when last checked in to the DB.

Besides hiding the sequence number on the ItemRevision BO property constant Display Name and deploying the modified template with: $item_id+"/"+$item_revision_id+"-"+$object_name

What do you have set for these three preferences?

• TCCheckoutReserveOnly
  • TCDefaultKeepLimit
  • TCDefaultKeepLimitByType

In your words, why would you disable sequences for all objects using TCDefaultKeepLimit instead of targeting the problem object specifically with TCDefaultKeepLimitByType?

I think that about covers the subject. Is there anything I've left out? Should we add some notes on purging?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

TCDefaultKeepLimit ... 3

Description:
Specifies the default keep limit for Sequences in Teamcenter. The given value is used to initialize the keep limit when a Business Object is created if no specific keep limit is defined using TCDefaultKeepLimitByType preference. For Sequences, the keep limit is defined as the number of sequences retained after a Check-In operation. This preference is not applicable to Datasets. AE_dataset_default_keep_limit preference is used to specify the number of Dataset versions retained with each Dataset. Valid values are positive integers greater than 0.

TCDefaultKeepLimitByType ... ItemRevision 3

Description:
Specifies the keep limit for a specific Business Object in Teamcenter. For
each entry, the keep limit is applicable for that Business Object and any Business Objects inheriting
from it.  An inherited value of keep limit may be overridden by specifying a keep limit
for the inheriting Business Object. For Sequences, the keep limit is defined as the number
of sequences retained after Check-In.
Valid values are space delimited Business Object-integer pairs.
For example, Business Object A 3 or MyBusinessObject 2.

AE_dataset_default_keep_limit ... 3

Description:
Default number of versions of Teamcenter datasets to keep before deleting old versions.
Changing the value will only affect datasets created after the value is changed.

TCCheckoutReserveOnly ... Item, PSBOMView, PSBOMViewRevision, Fnd0EditContext

Description:
Specifies Business Objects for which a restore copy will not be created during Check-Out.
If the Business Object supports Sequences, a new sequence will not be created during Check-Out.
Cancel Check-Out will not be available for these Business Objects.
Valid values are Business Objects for which Check-Out is allowed.

So for me it seems that there are too many options to disable sequences.

For datasets the AE_dataset_default_keep_limit is used, so this is split as it should be.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Phenom
Phenom

After a long talk with GTAC, it seems we need to keep AE_dataset_default_keep_limit at 3

But:

TCDefaultKeepLimit and TCDefaultKeepLimitByType ... ItemRevision can be 1, since we don't work with large quantities of documents (word, ppt, etc).

AE_dataset_default_keep_limit is what keeps the background backup copies, that we need, as CAD users.

TC admin is so confusing for an NX admin guy....

-Dave