Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOP for Installation to Amazon AWS

Experimenter
Experimenter

First let me introduce what my role is and what we are trying to do. I am the solutions architect and belong to a DevOps team. We are trying to migrate an existing TeamCenter 11.2.2.1_a01_3 and ActiveWorkspace 3.2 environment from a series of physical hosted systems over to Amazon AWS as part of the corporate cost-out initiative (i.e. help save the company money not relying on company-owned datacenters anymore).

The end game/solution will allow for us to provide the application support team a way to fully automate the Teamcenter environment, using Scalr, Chef and Github to be able to setup the instances, configure the infrastructure/OS servers, install the Apache / JBosss apps in the web tier and deploy the WAR files. We wil also be able to automate the enterprise tier in a similiar fashion, using silent installation, as needed for scaling up or down the TCs, depending on load of the web and application servers and whatnot. Hopefully.

So after conversing with the present TeamCenter PLM support team, we are trying to come up with a plan of action on what steps are needed to migrate the environment over to Amazon AWS. They were nice enough to provide us the PDFs for TeamCenter 11.2 installation, but making sense of these things is a whole another ballgame.

As a proof of concept (so our team can see what's involved and resources needed), I have setup an EC2 RHEL7 instance in our AWS environment. Problem is, now I am confused after reading (and re-reading) the UNIX/Linux installation guide. It seems the guide (written like a 'choose your own adventure') seems to be geared more for physical based systems rather than virtualized environments or even cloud solutions.

So my question is, has anyone installed/deployed the TeamCenter 11.x application to a virtualized environment or better yet, Amazon AWS (or any other cloud environment)? If so, would they mind helping with what needs to be setup and the order steps? We are wanting to use an Oracle RDS instance for the Oracle database, but the installation steps under the Foundation Database part is looking for a Database Path as if it exists on the local system (which it doesnt) and Database Paths don't exist within RDS. So we are a bit stuck on how to proceed.

5 REPLIES

Re: SOP for Installation to Amazon AWS

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
There are quit a few of us who have stood up Teamcenter in AWS and Azure. We have created our own guides and best practices that we follow. Most of us do this for a living and will likely not give away the entire goose for free. What you will find is that we are very helpful and if you have a specific problem will lend a hand. While I have worked with Oracle for a long time, I'm not familiar with RDS or I would try and answer that specific question. Which screen in TEM is giving you trouble?

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Experimenter
Experimenter

Foundation Database screen... for setting up a new database, I am stuck. 

1st Option: Create and populate database, create new data directory.

It's looking for a database path (i.e. ORACLE_HOME/oradata/Oracle_SID). We don't have one as we are planning on using a Oracle RDS instance (managed by Amazon). Is it possibly looking for something else or what is this?

2nd Option: Populate database, create new data directory

It's not liking it since the username of the RDS instance is the 'system level' one. We aren't DBAs and we have no tools to connect to the Oracle RDS instance and create a 'username' it's asking for.

3rd Option: Create new data directory using existing populated database

Same result as 2nd Option above.

4th Option: Use populated database and existing data directory

Data directory doesn't exist, so it can't do anything.

Solution Partner Phenom
Hopefully you have the installation media for Tc11.2.0 and Tc11.2.2_patch_1.

You can pre-create the Oracle DB on RHEL7 then select the "populate" selection in TEM thereby skipping the need for database path. Review these in the install media Tc11.2.0a_win64\tc\db_scripts\oracle\Teamcenter_Oracle.dbt and Tc11.2.2_wntx64\wntx64\tc\db_scripts\oracle\create_user.sql. Manually creating the database using the scripts is covered in the UNIX and Linux Server Installation chapter 4. There are several things that need to be tuned and managed like semaphores which are documented in the System Administration Guide chapter 3.

You only need to install INSWEB in order to generate the tc.war file. You will need both sets of media to build the web tier (Tc11.2.0a/Tc11.2.2 and wntx64/otw). Install it from Tc11.2.2_wntx64\wntx64\Web_tier\INSTALL_TCWEB.TZ then load the ICD's from both sets of media. You do not need the Enterprise Tier installed first.

Good luck and keep on truckin'.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Currently, I am using the following two Linux zip files:

Tc11.2.0_lnx64_1_of_2.zip

Tc11.2.0_lnx64_2_of_2.zip

I downloaded the Tc11.2.2_lnx64.zip and the Tc11.2.2_patch_1_lnx64.zip, but haven't unzipped them yet. Do I need to do that as well or wait?

Solution Partner Phenom
You have to unzip and combine Tc11.2.0_lnx64_1_of_2.zip and Tc11.2.0_lnx64_2_of_2.zip into a single Tc11.2.0_lnx64 directory. You'll need to unzip Tc11.2.2_lnx64.zip and Tc11.2.2_patch_1_lnx64.zip into their own directories. Run TEM from Tc11.2.2_lnx64 and pick the base media in Tc11.2.2_lnx64. After installation you will need to patch using Tc11.2.2_patch_1_lnx64 and Tc11.2.2_patch_1_install. That's for foundation. For the web tier you'll also need the above and the otw downloads.