Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Solved! Go to solution

Saving JT files for top level assemblies

Hi guys,

I have an assembly. When I Force Save All, all the JT files are stored on the child parts of the assembly but I also want to have a JT to be stored on the parent assembly.

Is there an option for this other than the Structure Manager?

Could be useful thing to just click the top part and see the whole assembly.

Cem

13 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author CemAlpay
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: Saving JT files for top level assemblies

I don't recommend storing JTs of full assemblies at the assembly level. You will definitely have performance problems and strange behavior due to having redundant JT data at both assembly and part levels.

Instead, you can export a complete assembly JT or PLMXML structure on demand from the Rich Client, VisMockup, or NX.

Thank you,

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
IT Architect, CAxPLM Applications - Siemens Molecular Imaging
Vice Technical Director, Board of Directors - PLM World, Inc.
CAD Grief Counselor

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of intended recipients. The information contained herein may include trade secrets, protected health or personal information, privileged or otherwise confidential information. Unauthorized review, forwarding, printing, copying, distributing, or using such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error, and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your system. Thank you for your cooperation

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Thanks Larry!

Hi Larry,

Im trying to save JT files during SAVE option in NX.The issue is the JT file is created in teamcenter and I can open it in TC Vis for single component and it works fine but for Stucture the JT file is created within Teamcenter but does not load any structure when I open it in TC Vis.It is blank

The Rich Client Embedded Viewer cannot view Assembly structure JTs.  You can either:

1) Send the BVR to Structure Manager and turn on it's Data Panel...Viewer tab.

2) Send the BVR to the Lifecycle Viewer application.

2) Send the BVR to Tc Visualization.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.

Thanks Larry for your quick reply.

Basically we want to use the Assembly JT files into Cortona.The issue is when we try to download the JT file from Named Reference and open it in stand alone Tc Visualization we dont see any data and structure.

And if we export the data directly from Nx File->export->Jt we see complete assembly structure with Child components in stand alone Tc Visualization

I have attached couple of screenshot which we derived through "save as Jt" and "export JT" options

[ Edited ]

There is a big difference in the actions you're taking. JT's are generated from solid bodies. In most cases, the solid bodies only exist in the component files and not the assembly. Unless you're in the bad habit of creating solids in your assembly, you will not see anything in the SOLIDS$.jt (or SOLIDS reference set) of the assembly file.

If you follow Larry's advice by opening Structure Manager and then sending to TC Vis then you'll get the whole assembly. If you continue down the Named References path then you won't.

Another concept you can employ is to create a monolithic JT for assemblies that you want to share. You basically use the same NX translator but with different switches. You would want to create a custom JT dataset (MonolithicDirectModel) to hold the monolithic JT.

It's a lot of work but its doable. The easiest method is to use Structure Manager to send to TcVis. However, Cortona3D should be able to use the components directly without all this Named References stuff you're doing. Check your process.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Thanks a lot Randy...

Yes I tried as per Larry instruction and it works great.

I will go back and check with Cortona Implementation team and see why there is requirement of  JT for every Assembly Items with BOM structure.

Below was the configuration in tessUG.config file we tried to get Assembly JT file:

EAITranslator {
OutputDirectory = ""
CommonPartsPath = ""
chordalOption = "RELATIVE"
structureOption = "MONOLITHIC"
writeWhichFiles = "ALL"
pmiOption = "PART_AND_ASM"
JtFileFormat = "9"
triStripOpt = true
seamSewing = false
seamSewingTol = 0.001
includeBrep = true
autoNameSanitize = true
updateChangedPartsOnly = false
writeAsciiAssembly = false
singlePartsNoAssem = false
autoLowLODgeneration = true
smartLODgeneration = false
numLODs = 3

[ Edited ]

We too use Cortona3D and worked out some of the issues with JTs and Cortona.

First, we created a PLMXML Export rule for directly exporting JT product structure from Teamcenter for use in Cortona.  This can usually be directly imported to Cortoan as-is.  This saves us a lot of time for export since the JT files already exist.

Second, Cortona has a JT import file size limitation. If the size of PLMXML Exported JT structure is too large for Conrtona to import, we resort to using Tc VisMockup (or even NX) to downsize the JT files by removing the XTBrep in them and changing some other facet or compression settings if necessary. However, this requires additional time for export.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.

This sounds like Siemens PLM Connection presentation material. I know I'd sure be interested in hearing about Cortona3D implementations, road blocks and work arounds. Dummying up JT's is always a favorite subject too.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2