cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seperate server for 4 tier processes

Genius
Genius

Today we have one application server for out TC10 environment hosting the Server Manager and an IIS setup.

We run .NET and IIS on Server2012R2 (virtual) and the current server has 8GB RAM . This server also host the Dispatcher Scheduler, Subscription Manager, and Action Manager services.

I feel we are utilizing the RAM to much (75-80%) when the number of users has increased and we are experiences a slowness in Rich client as e.g when expanding folders.

The database dba has recreated the MS SQL indexes to try to increase performance but it hasn't helped.

Checked in the documentation on how I can separate the 4 tier clients processes on another server but I can't install the Server Manager without assigning the Foundation and this I don't thin is the right way.

Is this possible to have a separate server running the 4 tier tcserver.exe processes that is starteed by Server Manager?

How does your infrastructure setup look like when the users are ~50-100 and the all run 4 tier?

Another way is to increase the RAM to maybee 16GB.

6 REPLIES

Re: Seperate server for 4 tier processes

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Increasing RAM is the cheapest route. RAM utilization at 75-80% is really high, ideally, it shouldn't climb above 65% (except for occasional spikes).

Separation of duties...

• Database - by itself and on real hw if possible.
  • Application (you called it Foundation) - tcdata, server manager, subscription/action and other services, dispatcher schedule and client.
  • Web - IIS, .NET web tier, tc help, nx help, etc.

Note: when expanding the application tier to a second server, you should install Foundation (installs bin) and copy tcdata. One of the tricks of having multiple servers participate in the Application tier is to keep the copies of tcdata in sync.

My recommendation to you is to increase RAM before you try to separate the tiers. Especially since you're not familiar with the dependencies.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I have about 65 users with .NET and IIS on Win2008R2, so it is similar to yours with some exceptions as shown below, and it works great.

1) More RAM on the Enterprise Tier server espeically if you are having it do multiple functions.  Randy is right.  Cheapested/easiest fix.  There is likely swapping going on causes delays.  You should be able to confirm that with monitoring tools.

2) If setting up another Enteprise Tier server, the 'Foundation' is required to be installed on the server manager server.  That is working as designed.

3) For the IIS, have you already configured  web garden mode with multiple worker processes for the Web Tier?  That could help, but you would need more RAM for it (See bullet 1).  I have done that and it seemed to have made a difference. 

4) There are other performance tweaks you can make for IIS, Enterprise tier, and the TCP configuration on the servers.  Information is widely available within the SPLM documentation and on the PLMWorld website in the form of past conference presentations (including mine on tuning Tc for performance).

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Genius
Genius

Hi Randy and Larry.

Thanks for this suggestions. I can say that early this morning the utilization was on 50% and when I called one of the users no delays was seen. One hour later we had 70% and then he had delays in expanding Teamcenter folders.

So I think the cause is the RAM.

Randy, regarding tcdata sync, isn't the best the share the tcdata and then reference it using an server path. At least this is how I made it for my Dispatcher servers who runs 2 tier.

I have now started a test with a separate Enterprise Tier and selected to install fountation with a already populated db and existing tcdata then I could see a new dialog "Multiplexing Proxy (MUX)" which should be configured.

When I read about it seems to be the kit between the central application server and this new server with a Server Manager.

Will see if I can connect through this server to my test system.

... Larry I have read your presentation and it's good! Unfortunately our infrastructure including SQL are outsourced to a large IT company so it's hard (read time consuming) to get some support and analysis done and a lot of people to speak to as they have their specific areas. I'm glad as long as I'm allowed to configure our Teamcenter environment. :-)

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

Server Manager is different than the Dispatcher Client. Yes, you can define tcdata as a UNC however that leaves you with a single point of failure. Best practice is to copy tcdata for separate server managers (and for running utlilities without sso). Configuring MUX sounds wrong, I don't use a proxy.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The easiest to have multiple servers is to not duplicate the TC_DATA share.

We do have the following setup:

1. separate SQL Server
  2. separate volume servers
  3. separate application server, shares TC_DATA
  4. separate dispatcher server
  5. separate web tier server

With this setup, you can easily add dispatcher, web tier and volume servers as users increase.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX12.0

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Our set up for ~65 users (that originally grew out from a single poorly performing server years ago):

1) A separate physical DB Server with local multiple physical disks optimized for the various DB files per vendor (MS and SPLM) recommendations.

2) A Tc Corporate server hosting Volumes, FMS Server Cache, licensing, DB daemons.

3) A Middle Tier server for both Enterprise & Web Tiers. That's all.

4) A Dispatcher server.

5) Remote Volume & cache servers at remote locations.

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,