Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Effectivity values of a ReleaseStatus.

Trying luck in the administrators forum...

I launched a code to set the "effectivity_text" property of a ReleaseStatus object, but it resulted in:

Exception in thread "main" foran.lib.tc.impl.teamcenter.exceptions.TCOperationException: Error Msg.: Property Effectivity is not modifiable.
Error Val.: Property Effectivity is not modifiable.

I am trying to set effectivity values for an item remotely using SOA, initially my plan was:

1) Obtain the revision

2) Obtain the StatusRelease Object I need

3) set its properties, specially its effectivity_text directly. 

The property is shown in the Properties window of the StatusRelease element from RAC. So the plan looked simple, obtain the Object, set its "effectivity_text" to the desired value and we are done. 1 and 2 work as expected but I am obtaining no properties at all in the ReleaseStatus object no matter the policy I use. Somehow effectivity related values are private to the class and cannot be accessed directly.

Any idea of how to set the effectivity values of a StatusRelease object from SOA code? Is EffectivityManagement service capable of doing it? Any hint? 

10 REPLIES

Re: Setting Effectivity values of a ReleaseStatus.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Good afternoon, Ramon_Talavera

I do not have much work with SOA, but I'll try to help you.
I think that it's not a good idea to try to set the effectivity_text property for the ReleaseStatus object because it is a runtime property. As far as I know, in order to assign applicability to object status, you need to create an Effectivity object and assign properties to it already. Try searching for a function that can create Effectivity objects. I do not know what version Teamcenter you are using, but according to the information from GTAC in Teamcenter 10, SOA had problems with setting the effectivity for status - there is no SOA API to do this

Hello Arthur 3,

I am not forcing myself to set effectivity_text field, all I am trying to do is to find a way to remotely set the effectivity values of a ReleaseStatus object from SOA. Lots of GETs can be found in the EffectivityManagement service, but just a single SET (setEffectivityConditions) wich does not offer me to feed it with a ReleaseStatus object and it is not overly documented in terms of explaining how to feed it with formulae and URLs.

I am using Teamcenter 10.1. I have found just a function capable of creating Effectivity objects (setEffectivityConditions, not overly documented though), but it does not return Effectivity Objects and I cannot determine how I would assign those objects to a specific existing status element.

The Rich Client (RAC) is doing it by means of **its own private SOA API**, EffectivityService, not available to the public, so the Rich Client is capable of remotely doing it by using propietary code... :/

Has this been solved in Teamcenter 11?

Any workaround?

Thank you.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sorry, but at this moment I don't know the answers to these questions.

Legend
Legend

What about assigning effectivity value with classic TC JAVA API? Did you try this?

Good idea, 

Any code or documentation reference to help me in my journey? Would it be possible to run it outside of RAC?

Unfortunately I am somehow forced to use SOA as the code is external to the Rich Client. Editing effectivities should be a basic part of a PLM system that easily allowed external integration. If creating items,applying attributes and even assigning release status objects is possible under SOA I am asking myself why assigning effectivity values is so overly complicated or not even possible. Does Teamcenter 11 SOA package have an EffectivityService capable of assigning effectivity values of a ReleaseStatus object? 

Maybe, (I said maybe) it would be possible to create an ITK program that handled it from a BMIDE created service, but that would mean to create a fully code customization template that would block hot deployment and make testing a lot more complicated; it also would mean to fly low level, which is beautiful, but not highly recommended due to mountains and lightning posts. I would prefer having an elegant OTB SOA solution to perform this or definitively have the evidence that it is not possible on Teamcenter 10 and/or if it is possible from version 11.

Thank you Smiley Happy 

Legend
Legend

May be it would be helpfull

Some Effectivity example(unit_range use) with classic TC CORE JAVA API (custom tc java plugin for RAC)

//get ReleaseStatus object

TCComponent related = target_item_rev.getRelatedComponent("last_release_status");
if(related !=null)
{
     TCComponentReleaseStatus release_status = (TCComponentReleaseStatus)related;
      if (related instanceof TCComponentReleaseStatus

&&related.getProperty("object_name").equals("Your_status_name") )
       {
                               TCComponentItem end_item = (TCComponentItem)item_type.find("end_item_id");

release_status.lock();
                               TCComponentEffectivityType eff_type =                                                                                                         TCComponentEffectivityType)session.getTypeComponent("Effectivity");

TCComponentEffectivity effectivity = eff_type.createFromUnits(release_status,end_item,unit_range);
                               eff_type.setProtection(release_status,effectivity,false);
                               effectivity.save();
                               release_status.save();
                               effectivity.unlock();
                               release_status.unlock();

}

}

where unit_range - as String (01-03 for ex.)

Hello alex_c,

Thank you very much for the code, it is a great example, but as you already know, it does not work on the server, but as a plugin on the RAC :/

I imagine what I have to do is create an ITK program to run on the server to do what I have in mind (I imagine that the C++ ITK API does have the functionality). After that, convert it to a custom service but that would limit the hot deployment of the template, which I value a lot.

Easy to tell, not easy to do. As far as I understand, this should be a SOA service offered by Teamcenter out of the box. RAC is using its own private TcEffectivityService internally.

Again, thank you Smiley Happy

Hurray for Teamcenter 11!

com.teamcenter.services.loose.structuremanagement._2015_10
Interface Effectivity
ServiceData editReleaseStatusEffectivity(Effectivity.EditRelStatusEffectivityInput[] input)

Woman LOLHeartHeartHeartWoman Surprised

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This is good Robot Very Happy, it is possible that in some of the patches for Teamсenter 10 the same feature was added