cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Site Preferences getting blank in Prod!!!

Pioneer
Pioneer
We just upgraded to 11.3 two weeks back. What we are seeing is that the site Preferences are getting blank suddenly causing havoc in Prod. We have to import back the preferences to bring the system back. This is happening randomly and almost half a dozen times since we went live. There are preference changes being made from.admin or anyone during these hours. Looking at GTAC there were a couple of such issues reported but with no clear solution. Anyone faced this issue and has a workaround or solution?

Thanks,
RS
6 REPLIES

Re: Site Preferences getting blank in Prod!!!

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
I've faced this problem before. Preferences (actually the xml containing the preferences) are stored as a BLOB in the database. When you edit the prefs in Teamcenter then the new XML is written to and stored in the BLOB. When two people edit the prefs at the same time then the result can be an empty BLOB. You may not notice this event (empty BLOB) until you restart the environment (or part of the environment like server/pool manager basically anything that needs TC_DATA to startup). The only way to resolve it is to restore the prefs using the preference_manager utility from a previous backup. OR to restore the database from backup and loose any data written after the backup was performed.

To avoid the situation, designate a single person to make preference changes.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

Pioneer
Pioneer

Randy,

As a best practice, we hahve already established a rule not to change any site preferences in PROD when users are connected as I have seen similar issue earlier. Anyway, we are working with GTAC where I can see similar issues being raised. Will  update once we get anything concrete.

Regards,

RS

Creator
Creator

Hi,

I would suggest to disable shared memory for site preferences. We had the same problem in Teamcenter 8 & 10 and disabling it solved it for us

Please see SFB-Teamcenter-8568..

Regards

Roland

Pioneer
Pioneer

Its disabled as well for us 

You shall try overlay preference and see if it suits your need in this case.

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?sort=desc&p=1&q=preference+overla...

Pioneer
Pioneer

OK..i have an update on this from GTAC and it looks to make sense in theory. We have put the fix and have kept in monitoring mode..thought can share here for the benefit of others.

It seems this issue has been reported by couple of other customers and the root cause seems to be bcause of mismatch of encoding between RAC--tcserver--DB. All these needs to be in sync - else there might be some characters not recognised by the other encoding set and this seems to be corrupting the preferences.

Below are the things you will need to check to see if your charcter encoding is aligned between these 3 layes - client--tcserver--db.

1. TC_CHARACTER_ENCODING (client level encoding)

2. TC_XML_ENCODING (tcserver level encoding)

3. NLS_character_set (DB paramater)

From the db side, you will need to query the pdata and pdata_0 and check the clob values and see if the encoding levels in each row are same for all rows. In case you find multiple encoding, you will need to correct it with the help of GTAC.

Regards,

RS