cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC11 compatibility with MS SQL Server 2016

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Hi everyone,

is MS SQL Server 2016 supported for Teamcenter 11? I looked at the Hardware and Software certifications matrix but could only find MS SQL Server 2012 and 2014. 2014 is proving difficult to find and purchase and it seems as though Microsoft is phasing it out, so 2016 is the reasonable purchase to be "up to date". The question is if it is compatible with TC11?

I contacted Microsoft Support but recieved conflicting information. One way to get SQL Server 2014 is to buy a SQL Server 2016 license and downgrade to 2014, but at the same time a different support agent says this path is not possible.

Is SQL Server Standard 2016 safe to use in a production environment? Has anyone tried?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES

Re: TC11 compatibility with MS SQL Server 2016

Solution Partner Valued Contributor Solution Partner Valued Contributor
Solution Partner Valued Contributor

Since SQL Server 2016 isn't listed in the compatability matrix yet, technically it isn't supported.  There's a chance you could make TC 11 work with 2016 by using its compatibility settings, but I haven't tried it and I wouldn't put an unsupported configuration into a production environment...

Microsoft does offer downgrade rights on most of their products.  See https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/licensing/learn-more/brief-downgrade-rights.aspx to download the details.  In short, if your license is from one of the Volume Licensing programs or enrolled in Software Assurance, then you should be good to go.

I hope that helps,

Patrick (Pat) Kennedy, Sr. PLM Application Engineer, Acuity Solutions

Re: TC11 compatibility with MS SQL Server 2016

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Microsoft SQL Server 2016 was certified for Teamcenter 11.3 and later.

Hope this helps,

Guy Bursell