Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Teamcenter 10.1.6.1 Patch Failure

Hi I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me with an error I have been getting. I am a student running Teamcenter for my EcoCAR3 team and so don't have the experience of a regular Teamcenter administrator. We recently recieved NX 11 licenses and so did an upgrade, and are therefore upgrading our Teamcenter Rapid Start 10.1.0 to 10.1.6.1, so that the two still interface. When installing the patch on the server side I recieved this error message (I also attached a picture). 

java.lang.Exception: The update_runner utility failed with a return status of 1.

I have also attached the log from the update.

Does anyone have any idea what this could refer to? I have searched through the Solutions Center to no avail and GTAC will not be open until Monday.

9 REPLIES

Re: Teamcenter 10.1.6.1 Patch Failure

It looks like you ran into a Java issue...

Output from command:  "C:\PROGRA~1\Siemens\TEAMCE~1\bin\update_runner.bat" -u=infodba  -p=***** -g=dba -templates=foundation -isLiveUpdate=false -log=C:\PROGRA~1\Siemens\TEAMCE~1\logs\update_runner.log
Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
Unrecognized VM option 'UseCompressedOops'
Did you mean '(+/-)CheckCompressedOops'?
command_exit=1

This log "C:\PROGRA~1\Siemens\TEAMCE~1\logs\update_runner.log" might show more about the error.

Do you have JAVA_OPTS or JAVA_ARGS set as a system environment variable?

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11.0.1.mp01 | SW 2016 | TcUA 11.2.3
Evaluating:AW 3.2

No we do not have either of those set as environment variables. We have found the below solution center entry, and have tried adding -XX:-UseCompressedOops to the Teamcenter.ini file with no change. We then tried changing this line in Teamcenter.ini, as it was referring to JRE 7 even though we are using JRE 8.0.66

Solution Center

https://solutions.industrysoftware.automation.siemens.com/view.php?sort=desc&pd=teamcenter&q=UseComp...

Old Line:

-Xbootclasspath/a:c:\program files\java\jre7\lib\plugin.jar;c:\program files\java\jre7\lib\deploy.jar;c:\program files\java\jre7\lib\javaws.jar

New Line:

-Xbootclasspath/a:C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_66\jre\lib\plugin.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_66\jre\lib\deploy.jar;C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_66\jre\lib\javaws.jar

The logs folder does not contain any update_runner.log files.

Since no log is being created then the command is dying before it is actually executed.

Teamcenter.ini will have no effect unless you're launching the rich client. Since the error is in TEM then you'll need to change in TEM.bat instead of Teamcenter.ini.

So we went into our TEM.bat in the install directory and changed the JRE version because it was incorrect, but the same error popped up. I have included our original TEM.bat file, do you know what we would have to change? Thanks so much for the help.

Also TEM does start up and run through several update commands before it fails, if that makes a difference. The original failure was quite far along in the patch process, and everytime we have tried it since it has tried to recover the patch, and has failed at the same point.

We have found that in the update_runner.bat file, which is the file where the failure occurs, there is this line:

if not defined BMIDE_SCRIPT_ARGS set BMIDE_SCRIPT_ARGS=-Xmx1024M -XX:+UseCompressedOops

This contains the command causing the error, UseCompressedOops. Is there something that should be changed in this file? I have copied the rest of it below.

@echo off
setlocal enableextensions enabledelayedexpansion
set JARS=%TC_BIN%\bmide\*
set CLASSPATH=%JARS%;%CLASSPATH%
if not defined BMIDE_SCRIPT_ARGS set BMIDE_SCRIPT_ARGS=-Xmx1024M -XX:+UseCompressedOops
"%JRE_HOME%\bin\java.exe" %BMIDE_SCRIPT_ARGS% -cp %CLASSPATH% -Dudu.process.id=18232 com.teamcenter.bmide.foundation.core.internal.install.UpdateRunnerMain %*
set SAVE_ERRORLEVEL=%ERRORLEVEL%
if defined EXIT_BMIDE_SCRIPT exit %SAVE_ERRORLEVEL%
exit /b %SAVE_ERRORLEVEL%
endlocal

The setting of JVM "-XX:+UseCompressedOops" in TC_ROOT\bin\update_runner.bat appears to be old and unneccesary. All x64 JVM's have this set by default in current versions of Java 8. You can validate this by running:

java -XX:+PrintFlagsFinal -version

In the output look for:

bool UseCompressedOops    := true    {lp64_product}

The "true" means the flag is set.

This means that you can remove the setting from update_runner.bat (make a backup first):

Change:

To read:
if not defined BMIDE_SCRIPT_ARGS set BMIDE_SCRIPT_ARGS=-Xmx1024M

Launch TEM.bat with "Run as administrator".

We removed the setting from update_runner.bat with some success. It turned out we needed to do a search through the bin directory for every batch file that had BMIDE in the name, and remove the setting from all of them. We learned this after restarting the update and having it crash multiple times on several different batch files. At least we got it finished eventually!

It would be helpful to others reading this post at a later date if you list the scripts that needed changed.

The list I have for TC_ROOT\bin that contains "-XX:+UseCompressedOops":

• admin_data_export.bat
  • admin_data_import.bat
  • am_rule_test_harness.bat
  • autofix_datamodel.bat
  • bmide_commontemplategenerator.bat
  • bmide_comparator.bat
  • bmide_consolidator.bat
  • bmide_generatecode.bat
  • bmide_generatetcbusinessdataschema.bat
  • bmide_generatetcplmxmlschema.bat
  • bmide_generate_compare_report.bat
  • bmide_generate_condition_report.bat
  • bmide_generate_datamodel_doc_report.bat
  • bmide_generate_datamodel_report.bat
  • bmide_logfileconsolidator.bat
  • bmide_manage_batch_lovs.bat
  • bmide_modeltool.bat
  • bmide_package_template.bat
  • bmide_postupgradetotc.bat
  • bmide_pretemplateinstall.bat
  • bmide_preupgraderunner.bat
  • bmide_processtemplates.bat
  • bmide_setupknowledgebase.bat
  • generate_admin_data_compare_report.bat
  • generate_admin_data_report.bat
  • install_runner.bat
  • package_live_updates.bat
  • update_runner.bat
  • upgrade_runner.bat

It would be nice if you followed up with GTAC and told them of your experience and work around.