Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teamcenter Column Configuration in MPP

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hallo everybody,

I'm new to the community, and new to Teamcenter, so first of all, I want to thank in advance all those who will answer to my first post, and the whole community, for accepting my registration.

I'd like to submit some questions about column configuration, in a custom perspective which is based on Manufacturing Process Planner.

I think my customer will ask me to configure a set of column configuration for this perspective, which has different views (PlantBOP, EBOM, BodyBOM and so on), so a different sub-set for each view.

The problem is, that maybe, the customer will ask me for a "default" set of column configuration, based on GROUP level, and for several sets of column configuration, based on ROLE level.

So I tested the following:

• Make a set of 2 different column configurations in MPP (only for one view, for testing), based on USER level, and export the preferences xml file for the user, then deleted the saved configurations from the dialog box.
  • Customized the xml file, in order to have a third column configuration (with different name), then modified the protection scope to SITE, into the xml file, and imported it as DBA on SITE level (this was done to simulate the configuration of the company). The result was, that the preference has been successfully imported on SITE level, so I have a basis configuration on SITE level, which is visible in the saved column configuration dialog box.
  • Customize again the first xml file, setting the protection scope to GROUP, then imported the preferences as DBA on GROUP level, pointing to a specific TestGroup. The result was, that the preferences have been successfully imported on GROUP level, so now I can see the single set on SITE level, plus the 2 different configurations imported all at once on GROUP level. If I log into the TestGroup, I can use the three different configurations; I still have to refine and correct the procedure, but at the end it works.
  • Now comes the problem: I generated a third xml file, with another different configuration (and different name), setting the protection scope to ROLE, then, always as DBA, I tried to import this preference pointing to a specific ROLE, withing the same TestGroup group. The result was, that after many errors, many fails and fake imports (so after a really unstable process), I imported the file on ROLE level. The preferences are visible into the RAC, nevertheless no configuration is available, for the role. I can see only the configurations on SITE and on GROUP level.

The outcome of my tests, in my opinion, is that either I made a completely wrong set of operation, or the preferences on GROUP level will override the settings on ROLE level. So whatever I may set, on ROLE level, will never be visible, as the column configuration preferences can be set only on SITE, GROUP and USER level.

Could somebody please explain me how it works, if I made something wrong, or anyway, what is feasible, and which is the best solution for a stable process, to generate/export/import a set of saved column configurations?

Thank you again for all the answers.

4 REPLIES

Re: Teamcenter Column Configuration in MPP

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Tc should use the Role preference (if defined) before using the Group preference unless it is a System preference.
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.4/help#uid:xid1256815:index_managing_prefs:xid908...

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you for your answer Randy,

sorry, but actually I cannot reach the document you linked.

So, you say that it's possible to export a column configuration, and load it on Role level.

But if I set the preferences on Role level, those (eventually) on Group level would be overridden,

or should I be able to see both configurations at the same time?

After my tests, my impressions were that, (speaking about column configuration) any preference set on User, Group and Site level, would override the preference set on Role level.

And in another post of this forum, always speaking about column configuration, only preferences on Site, Group and User level have been mentioned, but no preference on Role level... Now I'm a bit confused...

P.S. could you please tell me if, in your opinion and for your experience, what I did is correct or not??

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

The Teamcenter documentation requires a webkey to access it. Attached is a quick reference that describes preferences. You should get a webkey created so that you can view Tc Help.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Experimenter
Experimenter

Thank you Randy,

I already have this document.

Ok, if nobody can tell me something more specific, I will ty to have a better look

at the manual, and find a solution for that... ;-)