Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teamcenter preferences

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

This is not really pertaining to any specific problem or error but I would like to have a discussion on your usage of Teamcenter preferences and the intended purpose from Siemens.

Naturally Siemens have provided us with load of OOTB preferences that control different beavior in the application.

As of now we are having quite a lot of customizations in our Teamcenter evironment and many of these customizations are using custom preferences to achieve a desired behavior. As an admin I try to persuade our projects to manifest any business rules in BMIDE, for instance using constants to implement business specific rules, but I'm not really sure why I'm doing this :-)
I just feel somewhere that the purpose of preferences is not to control business rules but rather control application behavior (but I'm also struggling even to explain the difference here).

If we were to control the rules through preferences, then why did Siemens give us the BMIDE? Shouldn't all business rules be implemented in the model but then what are preferences to control?

Sorry for this somewhat messy post, but hopefully someone will understand what I'm trying to ask.

How do you guys go about this? Do you use custom preferences to achieve business goals and if yes, why not implement the rules in BMIDE?

How do you interpret Siemens intention of preferences vs BMIDE elements?

Any answers appreciated, I just want to get a discussion going.

Cheers,

Mattias / Sweden

4 REPLIES

Re: Teamcenter preferences

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
If everything were stored in BMIDE then you'd need to make changes there and perform a deployment before those changes are realized. Hot deployments are risky so most do cold deployments which require downtime. Downtime is unacceptable in some shops that require nearly 24/7 uptime. For this reason, and others, most try to remove as much as possible from BMIDE to avoid these downtimes. For instance, moving LOVs to batch LOVs, etc.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Experimenter
Experimenter

Randy,

Your are right, of course. BMIDE deployments are usually a bit of a pain and business rarley wants to wait for next downtime window (which could be weeks even months away).

Still I don't feel that the method of deployment should govern how we develop a solution. If there is a "correct" way to implement something, the that method should be used. If, for instance, Siemens recommends us to manifest the rules in BMIDE, then there should be a good reason for it and best practice should be followed.
However, I fully sympathize with your angle and even we are using things like batch LOVs to avoid deploys.

However, batch LOVS is a fully supported and recommended way from Siemens to add new values to an LOV. It's an alternative approach to using classic LOVs.

But are preferences to be regarded in the same way?
Do Siemens recommend us to use preferences to avoid BMIDE deploys?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Naturally, Siemens recommends preferences to control *behavior*, and have become quite sophisticated in their approach by defining System preferences with overlays for Hierarchical preferences (Site, Group, Role, User). A good example is a custom stylesheet for displaying the Summary of a custom Item type. The ootb behavior is to use the parent stylesheet or fallback to a list of property name/vale pairs. While a quick change or addition of a preference enables a different stylesheet to be used which, display properties in a meaningful manner or lists specific actions to be performed, saving the user time and effort.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Creator
Creator
I agree with you!