Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transient volume configuration with 2 pool managers

Creator
Creator

Teamcenter 11.3 on windows servers

Two pool managers, pool_a and pool_b. Both servers also are an FMSMaster. Both have a transient volume identified pointing to a local drive on each with the same local directory path.

Teamcenter preferences for *transient* are pointing to pool_a information; volume id, server, etc...

When a 4trc is attached to pool_a, I can export a BOM to excel just fine. When a session is attached to pool_b, receive a volume not found error. The data seems to be exported to the pool_b transient volume, but it seems teamcenter is looking for the data to be in the pool_a transient volume.

In the FMSMaster, if i change the pool_b transient volume id to match the transient volume id for pool_a, export of a BOM to excel works every other time whether attached to pool_a, or pool_b. Very odd.....

Anyway, anyone have any idea how to configure the transient volume to be successful in this configuration? 2 pool managers, each with an FSC as master?

I appreciate any help as this driving me crazy.

Thanks...

12 REPLIES

Re: Transient volume configuration with 2 pool managers

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

The solution lies in where backup_xmlinfo is run. Running on pool_a server will yield the transient volume id for pool_a while running the utility on pool_b server will yield the transient volume id for pool_b. The transient volumes in the FMS Master must have the transient volume id for pool_a and pool_b. Does that help?

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Creator
Creator

It does make sense, but when I do that, sessions attached to pool_b always receive the volume file not found error, but sessions attached to pool_a always work. Like I ststed, the preferences are pointing to pool_a.

Excerpt from FMSMaster below. Pool_a is XXXXXX03 and pool_b is XXXXXXX04

<fsc id="FSC_XXXXXXXX03_teamcenter" address="http://XXXXXXXX03:4545" ismaster="true">
        <volume id="37914c6955a3a12e2c4e" enterpriseid="-1590809522" root="E:\\Teamcenter\\vol\\vol1" priority="0" />
        <volume id="3e114c6bbd89a12e2c4e" enterpriseid="-1590809522" root="E:\\Teamcenter\\vol\\vol_col" priority="0" />
  <transientvolume id="8cdbbdc3dd930e8d690521be779a1c33" enterpriseid="-1590809522" root="E:\\Teamcenter\\vol\\transientVolume" priority="0" />
      </fsc>
      <fsc id="FSC_XXXXXXXXX04_teamcenter" address="http://XXXXXXXXX04:4545" ismaster="true">
        <volume id="3f5e4d9f8db0a12e2c4e" enterpriseid="-1590809522" root="E:\\Teamcenter\\vol\\vol_col2" priority="0" />
      <transientvolume id="74f58eaf5a874975b87da3a4738a80fc" enterpriseid="-1590809522" root="E:\\Teamcenter\\vol\\transientVolume" priority="0" />

Solution Partner Phenom
You have both FSC 03 and 04 configured to be the master. That's not an issue, a little unusual, as long as both are identical and changes in one are posted to the other, any change requires restarting both FSC services.

You seem to be stuck on preferences. What value(s) do you have for these?
Fms_BootStrap_Urls
Default_Transient_server
Default_Transient_Volume_Id
Transient_Volume_Installation_Location
Transient_Volume_RootDir

Please include the backup.xml for pool_a and pool_b so I can validate the FMS Master shown above. Don't get confused by the default, which there can be only one, and normal transient volumes, which there can be many.

Creator
Creator
Bootstrap has both p03 and p04 listed. All of transient preferences are pointing to p03 details. The backup xml, at the bottom, displays the appropriate id for the respective server which is shown in the fmsmaster.

Solution Partner Phenom
Then everything should be working now. Congrats.

Creator
Creator
I agree, but is not. Later today/tomorrow, I will attach configuration files, etc... maybe you’ll see something I’m missing. I hope so anyway.

At the moment, any session attached to p04 receives the file not found error.

Creator
Creator

Backup_xml's attached.

One thing I notice... The Transient_Volume_Installation_Location is different in each. The preference is set to p03, but in the p04 backup, it shows as p04.

Looking in the preference, the location is set as environment variable, not site. Does this cause a problem?

Might be grasping at straws here, but I am somewhat confused.

Thanks again for the help.

Solution Partner Phenom
The Transient_Volume_Installation_Location is set to %COMPUTERNAME% in TC_DATA\tc_profilevars.bat which is correct. Also, the data in the backup.xml's match the snippet of the FMS Master you included in your second post. So the issue is likely with one of the preferences. Copy the following preferences to a file C:\Temp\prefs.txt:
Fms_BootStrap_Urls
Default_Transient_server
Default_Transient_Volume_Id
Transient_Volume_Installation_Location
Transient_Volume_RootDir

In a Tc cmd window run:
cd /d C:\Temp
preferences_manager -u=infodba -p=infodba -g=dba -mode=export -scope=SITE -file=prefs.txt -out_file=prefs.xml

Attach C:\Temp\prefs.xml and I can review the values.

Creator
Creator

FYI... below is what is set in tc_profilevars.

set Transient_Volume_Installation_Location=RAIUSCOLWSTCP03

preference file attached