Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translation request(s) for specific workflow target(s)

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi all,

Currently we use the TCRS-Create-Translation-Request to create translation requests after item revision(s) are released.

The item revisions contain multiple datasets and thus need to be translated into different types of translated datasets.

There are three destination types and two source types so we use a task with three handles:

2018-05-30 12_39_53-Handlers.png

This will generate three requests for all workflow targets.

Not all targets can be translated to for example PDF so a lot of there translation requests are terminated.

The result is just fine, but there is a lot of unnecessary data generated.

My question is, how can we prevent the unnecessary requests to be generated?

Is it possible to only generate the requests for specific dataset types in the workflow targets?

6 REPLIES

Re: Translation request(s) for specific workflow target(s)

Phenom
Phenom

I havent used this TCRS handler, but...

The handler will only perform against the revision(s) you have as a target.

For example, If you only want a PDF translation to occur against a revision which has a Solid Edge drawing then put a query in your workflow to only return Revisions with SE drawings with the -reference option.  This will move any targets that dont meet this query to the reference folder.  At this point you can trigger your translation request.  Then, using epm-move-attached-objects you can move all the Revisions in the reference folder back to the Targets and then run another query for your other translation and so on.

Richard

Richard Bennett
PLM Consultant
www.ProspectPLM.co.uk

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Thanks, will try this in test.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@ProspectPLM

It has been some time, I'm back from my holyday and can continue this issue.

I understand the process you are describing, but i'm not yet experienced enough to model this in a workflow.

Can you please give an example of how to move the objects with a query?

What task do I use and what handles are involved?

The epm-move-attached-objects handler seems easy to use though.

Phenom
Phenom
I'm not at my pc so can't give you screenshots etc.

If you use a query in your workflow on the condition task, look at the properties for the handler and the argument '-reference' with no value. When the query is executed against the targets, any objects which don't satisfy the query are moved to the references folder.

Look at the workflow designer guide.

Rich
Richard Bennett
PLM Consultant
www.ProspectPLM.co.uk

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Okey, I'm not done modelling the workflow, but as I came across the query portion of the workflow I think it will not work as I would want it to.

The targets folder only contains one item revision (containing different datasets that need translation), so what do I move to the reference folder? Is this still a viable solution when I don't have multiple revisions to move around?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Came across handler "TSTK-CreateTranslationRequest", which enables you to only create request(s) for a specific dataset type and does not process datasets from other item revisions in the underlying structure.

Another (in my opinion) nice side effect is that the translation requests are not generated in the name of the user "dcproxy" but in name of the user initiating the workflow task.