Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to login to 4T Rich Client after environment replication

I did an environment replication where i exported DB from source and imported successfully in destination.

All other necessary steps has been completed and i am able to login to thin client & command line without issues.

When attempting login to rich client, i get error like,

“File was not found,
0104564f26008B(C:\apps\TC9\TV)dba_564ed8bc\ng4_par_xml_p8z03to6idelp.xml,
GUID 00000000000931575fd97b8b136cbc. If this is remote data it may need to
be reimported”

Regenerated client & meta data cache and deleted shared memory as well.

Anyone faced similar error and any possible solution for this apart from manual file creation in volume ?

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Unable to login to 4T Rich Client after environment replication

Solution Partner Honored Contributor Solution Partner Honored Contributor
Solution Partner Honored Contributor
I usually see this when deploying an updated template via TEM. Some of the language files are missing and it won't behave until they are manually created. It's possible that you have to go through many iterations until are the required files are created. Once you get past this error THEN update the client cache and meta data cache.

Another possibility is that the transient volume isn't working correctly. Use the results of backup_xmlinfo as gospel to update the FMS Master and Tc preferences. Especially the default transient volume id. The TV ID is a computed value that changes when the server name or TV location change.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Thanks Randy!! I will try the transient volume part and update back. But why do you think that transient volume could be the reason for this error!? Just curious..

Files are usually copied to the transient volume where the client then pulls them local. Things like stylesheets are a good example. A good check is to look at the transient volume folder on the server and if you see files then there is a problem. The TV should be empty or files may reside there for a couple of minutes before disappearing. Its the best indicator that something is amiss. If the TV is empty then the problem is with the files in the volume itself and you may need to create "dummy" files to get past the errors.

Thanks Randy. I verified that transient volume doesn't have issues but still was not able to login. So had to create 100 dummy files to get past the error. Now i am able to login without issues. :-)

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Randy,

I'm getting a very similar error...I've never had to locate my Transient Volume; can you give me any guidance on where to find it? Would it be located on the server or client?

I've attached a screenshot of my error...similar circumstances too. Recently had my Production environment replicated. I WAS able to log into the RAC on my client machine last week. Today, presumably nothing has changed but I cannot. I can still log into the RAC on the server, but not on the client.

volume data error.jpg

The transient volume resides on the server. It MUST be installed on the same server running tcserver's (Server Manager). The purpose of a transient volume is to act as a temporary holding area for files that need to be written by tcserver and retrieved by the 4t client workstation.

The easiest way to find the transient volume is by running backup_xmlinfo on the same server that is running Server Manager. You will need a Tc cmd prompt to run it: backup_xmlinfo -u=infodba -p=infodba -g=dba
This commands retrieves the values stored in the database and is therefore the gospel. Files or preferences need to be changed using the information in backup.xml (file generated by the utility).

That said, I'm not positive your error is TV related. It could be that the volumes are not pointing to the correct (new) location? Does this 4t client also have Production installed or just your new clone? The symptoms you describe make me think that you ran Prod which left the FCC running then ran the Clone which used the Prod FCC (dangerous).

Pioneer
Pioneer

Randy,

This 4 tier client can only see my Test server; there is no access to Production. Does that mitigate your last comment "make me think that you ran Prod which left the FCC running then ran the Clone which used the Prod FCC (dangerous)."?

I don't have any visibility into how the replication was created unfortunately...my IT department holds all of the administrative access needed to create replications, run backups, etc. If there is something specific that I could point out to them that's not best practice, I'll definitely do so.

I ran backup_xmlinfo per your suggestion, but cannot find where the output file went for the life of me...I even tried specifying a file path, like you can in many other TC Command prompt utilities...both times, I didn't receive an error but cannot find the file. Here's exactly what I entered:

backup_xmlinfo -u=infodba -p=infodba -g=dba

Then, when I could not locate that output file:

backup_xmlinfo -u=infodba -p=infodba -g=dba -filepath=C:\test\backup.xml

Any suggestions?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Randy,

In hunting for my backup.xml file, I came across something that may be relevant....

I was able to find an older backup.xml file in my Siemens\Teamcenter11\bin folder, which I'm guessing was created when this Test server was replicated from Production. This backup.xml file references my Production server...should it actually reference my Test server, if performing properly? For instance, I know my Test server is named vs3497 so that's what I would have expected to see here...My Prod server name is vs3494.

Is this normal, or does this indicate a mistake was made while performing the server replication?

see below:

backup.xml path.jpgbackup.xml contents.jpg

Well you certainly have some challenges...

The first is that backup.xml will be written to whichever folder you ran it from UNLESS you've specified TC_TMP_DIR which is easy enough to check in your Tc cmd window. Type "set" (without quotes) and hit enter, the list is alphabetical.

Deconflicting the volume settings during a clone operation is extremely important. Possibly the most important thing when cloning. The backup.xml will show the node name and wnt path for the volume as declared in the DB. If this is wrong then all kinds of bad things can happen. Some folks clone then log into the 4tRAC (volumes still pointing to Prod) to change the volume information using Organization. I don't like that approach and like to change the volume information directly in the DB using SQL statements before launching the 4tRAC (no chance of cross pollination).

The reason you see backup.xml in TC_BIN is likely because whoever ran it in Production didn't change the directory to a safe location like C:\Temp before running backup_xmlinfo then cloned which now has the bad file in your clone. They should get in the habit of changing to a safe directory before running utilities, or set TC_TMP_DIR, or add a "cd /d C:\Temp" to the bottom of the tc_menu script.