Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use of move_volume_files utility during working hours

Solution Partner Pioneer Solution Partner Pioneer
Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi,

I want to use the move_volume_files utility while people are using Teamcenter.

Is it possible ? What could be the risks ?

Thank you in advance,

Sènan 

17 REPLIES

Re: Use of move_volume_files utility during working hours

Legend
Legend

@Sènan wrote:

Hi,

I want to use the move_volume_files utility while people are using Teamcenter.

Is it possible ? What could be the risks ?

The risks - utility failure or the moving files could not be moved to new destination volume.

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
This utility is amazing and you can definitely use it when people are logged on (util was enhanced for batch mode in Tc10.1). If a file refuses to move or if the util crashes then no harm as the reference in the DB isn't changed until the file actually exists in the destination volume. You may have some duplication (source and destination) or the source file may not be able to be removed (usually a permissions issue) resulting in file duplication however the DB will always point to the correct file. I use the review_volumes util to keep the volumes and files in ship-shape. The move_volume_files util is your safest and most robust option.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Solution Partner Pioneer
Thank you for your help !

Also I had another question. I have 2 site using one server installation located on 1 site.
I started to use the move_volume_file to put all the data created by the users where TC isn't installed on a volume at their site.
The goal is for them to have a quicker access to the data.

As I started the files migration, some users are saying that it's taking more time then before...
Do you know if it's normal ?
( All I did is creating a new volume on their site and migrating the data)

Thank you in advance for your help Smiley Happy

Sènan

Solution Partner Phenom
Likely, the delayed response is due to the design of the groups in the FMS Master where the users are going back to the main then to the local cache that you created. Two trips across the wan instead of one. You can attach your FMS Master and I'll take a look at it.

You can create a Whole File Cache (WFC) for the remote users which will improve read performance. A WFC doesn't need to be tuned like a segment cache does and is easier to backup/recover. However, write performance will not be improved unless you stand up a Store and Forward (S&F) volume. Both S&F and WFC can co-exist on the same remote server.

Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi Randy,

Here is my fms master:

2018-05-29_18h04_04.png

Thank you in advance for your help and informed advice.

Best regards,

Solution Partner Phenom
Well there isn't much to configure with a single FSC group. What needs to happen for your remote users is that they need a server (and FSC) for local access. Currently, everyone has to go back to the main server (s220) to access their volume data. You might want to add a server for chanbault and move the volume "1467000481b03b43f190" to that server then assign the users in that location "Default Local Server" pointing to their FSC (S&F configuration). If you decide to go that route then we have more to talk about.

The reason your chanbault users have slower performance is likely due to the use of UNC paths which have to be interpreted before any actions. I assume \\s304 isn't local like \\s220 is which is incurring a longer wan trip. But that's just a guess since I don't know your actual architecture.

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

I can offer some insight from my own experience managing FMS across multiple geographics locations.

Your FMS Master itself is the reason for poor performance and needs some corrections if supporting more than one location. This is because you have your remote volume attached to a local FSC group (and using LAN parameters) at the master site.

Here's what I think you need to do (or at least what I've done):

First, you will need two FSC groups; one for each location on a server local to each location.  

Second, the remote volume (assuming it is located at the remote facility) goes into the second (remote) FSC group (instead of the first).

Third, your clientmaps need to be set according to your clients varying IP addresses/subnets at each location to have them point to their location's local FSC group.

Fourth, set up <linkparameters> element from/to each FSC group using WAN as the transport type and also use compression option if desired.

Fifth, in TC set your remote clients to use the remote volume as their default volume.

Sixth, create a side-cache FSC on the remore server to side cache any volume files moved offsite to improve continued read cache performance for remote users.

Seventh, create a nightly batch file to run move_volumes in the off hours to move the remote data to the master volume for backup purposes.

Here is a reduced (and partially masked) version of our FMS master config file demonstrating this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE fmsworld SYSTEM "fmsmasterconfig.dtd">

<fmsworld>
<multisiteimport siteid="......">
</multisiteimport>
<fmsenterprise id="......" volumestate="normal">
<fccdefaults>
</fccdefaults>
<fscgroup id="HES">
<fsc id="FSC_USHESB0WM39SRV_z003p7ah" address="......." ismaster="false">
<transientvolume id="d2274f83d6fe3541c7c8c17e9ac8f49e" enterpriseid="......." root="C:\\temp\\transientVolume_z003p7ah" priority="0" />
</fsc>
<fsc id="FSC_ushesb0wm40srv_z003p7ah" address="........" ismaster="true">
<volume id="1c6e000000091e85c434" enterpriseid="......." root="E:\VOLS\tcprod\hes_vol" priority="0" />
</fsc>
<clientmap subnet="165.226.120.0" mask="255.255.248.0">
<assignedfsc fscid="FSC_ushesb0wm40srv_z003p7ah" priority="0" />
</clientmap>
<clientmap subnet="127.0.0.1" mask="0.0.0.0">
<assignedfsc fscid="FSC_ushesb0wm40srv_z003p7ah" transport="wan" priority="0" />
</clientmap>
<exitfsc fscid="FSC_ushesb0wm40srv_z003p7ah" priority="0"/>
<entryfsc fscid="FSC_ushesb0wm40srv_z003p7ah" priority="0"/>
</fscgroup>
<fscgroup id="KNV">
<fsc id="FSC_USKNVI0WM01PLM_z003p7ah" address="......." ismaster="false">
<volume id="044000001bc91e85c434" enterpriseid="......." root="E:\VOLS\tcprod\knv_vol" priority="0" />
</fsc>
<fsc id="FSC_USKNVI0WM01PLM_z003p7ah_sidecache" address="......." ismaster="false" />
<clientmap subnet="165.226.32.0" mask="255.255.248.0">
<assignedfsc fscid="FSC_USKNVI0WM01PLM_z003p7ah" priority="0" />
</clientmap>
<clientmap subnet="165.226.54.0" mask="255.255.255.0">
</clientmap>
<clientmap subnet="129.73.97.0" mask="255.255.255.0">
</clientmap>
<exitfsc fscid="FSC_USKNVI0WM01PLM_z003p7ah_sidecache" priority="0"/>
<entryfsc fscid="FSC_USKNVI0WM01PLM_z003p7ah_sidecache" priority="0"/>
</fscgroup>
<linkparameters fromgroup="HES" togroup="KNV" transport="wan" maxpipes="8" compression="gzip" />
<linkparameters fromgroup="KNV" togroup="HES" transport="wan" maxpipes="8" compression="gzip" />
</fmsenterprise>
</fmsworld>

Larry Carpenter, P.E.
CAxPLM Architect @ Siemens Molecular Imaging
Past Board Member @ PLM World, Inc,

Solution Partner Pioneer

Hi,

Thank you for all that information.

I did a lot of tests but I'm not sure I'll do it right.

I think the first cuestion I have is : 

should I install a new volume server (server cache FMS), or do an update FMS master via the TEM ?

I made the second choice but it does not work !

1. add a FSC Servers (admin_2) In my test the new FSC is in the same server2018-06-07_16h58_37.png

2. add FSC Client Map2018-06-07_17h03_45.png

3. VolumeQuery

2018-06-07_18h47_45.png

And after that, my FMS service does not start anymore.

My FMS Master change but, should I change it manually?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards.

Solution Partner Phenom
You created both servers and both volumes in the same FSC Group. I don't think that is going to work. Further your client mapping (subnet/mask) is identical (default) so FMS isn't going to know how to route your files and the FCC will likely talk directly to the volume. Which volume is a guess.

If you don't have a separation of client locations by IP range then maybe you'll want to consider setting the FSC Parent to tell FCC which FSC it should talk to (basically hard code it). But you'll definitely need to fix the FSC Group and volume assignment stuff in your FMS Master first.

You can run two FSC's on the same server if they are designed for different purposes like one being a whole file cache (WFC) and the second being a segment cache (for JTs) each with their own port number (4544 and 4545 for instance). But looking at your configuration it doesn't look like you've done that.

Right now you have a bit of a mess and you might want to remove what you've done. Basically, the first service can start but the second will see the busy port and not start. Review your TC_ROOT\FSC\FSC*.stdout logs (two) for errors.