Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

User assigned vs. TC assigned Part number, an admin view

I've asked a similar question in the NX Design forum, to get users thoughts, now I'm interested in the admin perspective.  I'm curious on companies using NX and Teamcenter, that do NOT use the Teamcenter created ID number (aka DB_Part_No), or allow both.

Company history is the use of a "smart" part number, which tells the user the car type, year, and general location the part is used. Most in the company wish to maintain this ability, and our smart number will not go away, it will be used in the Part Name, at the very least.

Siemens has pushed the use of the Teamcenter created ID number, as the preferred, or best practice.

My interest is in companies that do not use the Teamcenter created ID number, or allow both auto generated and user input part numbers, and what drawbacks, or caveats they have experienced, if any?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1
2 REPLIES

Re: User assigned vs. TC assigned Part number, an admin view

>> My interest is in companies that do not use the Teamcenter created ID number, or allow both auto generated and user input part numbers, and what drawbacks, or caveats they have experienced, if any?

We use a "smart" numbering system which origins decades ago and is even kind of "hardcoded" in SAP at the time being.

It is being said that it will never get changed Man Tongue

I can not tell about any serious drawbacks or caveats.

On release ( which also causes a transfer to SAP ) we use a custom Workflow handler to check if the used item_id ( which turns to MaterialNumber in SAP later ) is a "valid" one.

However, regarding the "smart numbering" this item_id could be "wrong", but I do not experience many of such issues.

Thomas Zwatz, CADadmin, PÖTTINGER Landtechnik GmbH
NX10.0.3.5 MP03 + TC10.1.5.1 [stable], NX10.0.3.5 MP08 + TC10.1.5.1[testing]
SingleSite 2T&4T, DocMgt, MRO, ReqMgt, SchedMgt, T4S
BCT-Inspector Neutral V16.1.4, ANSYS 16.1

Re: User assigned vs. TC assigned Part number, an admin view

Reviving this...

Since we have 2 locations that use the same TC database, If we wanted to allow the option to either:

a)  auto assign by TC (as it is now for one business location)

or

b)  manually enter the smart part number (for my business location)

What would I need to tell our TC admin to change?

-Dave
NX 11 | Teamcenter 11 | Windows 8.1