Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using TCIF for data migration from TC 9 to TC 11.2.2.1

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi there,

Is it possible to use TCIF (Teamcenter Integration Framework) to migrate the data (includes CAD data from Solidworks) from Teamcenter 9.1 to Teamcenter 11.2.2.1?

Thanks in advance.

Manikanta

6 REPLIES

Re: Using TCIF for data migration from TC 9 to TC 11.2.2.1

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
What process do you have in mind that needs TCIF? You can already use many other tools including PLMXML or TCXML. A really fast migration would use low-level TCXML but it requires a SITCON key which can be obtained by attending a SITCON class.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

Thanks for quick reply.

The requirement is that we want to migrate data from Teamcenter 9 (of Business A) to Teamcenter 11.2.2.1 (of Business B) where Business A & B are having entirely different data models. The data that has to be migrated includes Documents, Parts, Engineering BOMs, Design objects, CAD BOM's (Solidworks) etc including physical files.

While reading over internet, some posts suggested that TcIF might also be helpful in such a case. Not sure if it is the best approach in this scenario.

Does site consolidation approach works good in the above scenario? Or is there any other better way to achieve it?

Thanks,

Manikanta

Solution Partner Phenom
Site consolidation will not work with differing data models. I don't know enough about your data to tell you what the best tool is but there are a couple that I would start with: CSV2TCXML (Bulk Loader) or T4EA (Teamcenter Gateway for Enterprise Applications).
https://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/tc/11.3/help#uid:xid1256823:index_plm00094:xid733527:xi...
https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en/products/active-integration/teamcenter-enterprise-applicat...

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

You no longer need the SITCON key to use TCXML bulk migration in 10.1.5 and TC11.x. You'd still need that license to use the site consolidation tools. For TCXML migrations, you do need a Site ID from Gtac or it won't work. It is best if you take the bulk loader class if you're not familiar with the migration tools. It isn't a long class and I think it was like $500-ish and 4 or 8 hrs online. The CSV2TCXML and TCXML low-level import is fast (millions of objects in a few hours). But you MUST transform your data before loading. You can make a huge mess if your data isn't clean because you are doing low-level and bypassing most of the API's.

I'm sure that is true for TCIF as well, you'd have to map the 2 data models to move the data. I've never dont a TCIF migration as I use the TCXML method. My questions would be: Is it the right tool for the job? Would you need extra licensing to use this tool? Do you need global services as well? Do you already have it set up? If not, how extensive is that set up? TCXML is minimal to set up and start using and it is part of TC foundation with no extra licensing.

Personally I'm more comfortable with TCXML. If you have questions in that area, I'd be happy to try to answer. Look at the Siemens docs for CSV2TCXML to get started.

Regards,

Jamie Griffis

Mercury PLM Services

Solution Partner Phenom
To wrap up a few questions for Jamie...
TCIF is not the right tool for migrations. The Teamcenter Integration Framework is for sharing data, not migrating it. For instance the Supplier Integration is built using TcIF. You would need part of the global services/multi-site (at least Sites configured in Organization) but instead of ods/idsm for communication it uses the TcIF calls. And there is an additional cost.
The right tool is either CSV2TCXML or T4EA. Smiles!

Highlighted

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Randy - You know me, my preference is CSV2TCXML for migrations. Just a note - I did a 20k dataset load last week. From CSV2TCXML and TCXML import, 10 minutes. 300k total objects - 10 minutes! It is amazing how fast it can work. Smiley Happy

Jamie