Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Variant management in Teamcenter

Hi all,

I wanted to know more about variant management in Teamcenter, we are using CATIA as the CAD tool. We are using classic variants. My query is not configuration related, it is more functional in nature.

Any information regarding the below points or anything related would be great.

How is variant management implemented at a customer?

How to manage drawings of the variant assemblies?Are they managed under variant specific assembly rev or under top assembly (200 % BOM) revision?

How to understand the customer's CAD processes and suggest a variant management strategy?

Is this strategy specific for each customer or are there any guidelines regarding variant assembly management?

How will the lifecyle (e.g. approval or release processes) apply on the variant assembly revisions?

Do we create separate top level assembly for each variant and keep them in another top level revision?

Is there any licensing requirement while using VI (Variant items) with classic variants

Thanks and Regards,

Sanket Pusalkar

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Variant management in Teamcenter

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you aware that there is a new module for Variant Management. You should check the Product Configurator. In the newest version there is a possibility to create new objects, if the configuration was not defined before.

I think there are a lot of blogs and presentations available that explains more about this Product Configurator. 

Otherwise check the documentation of the Product Configurator

Regards,

Menk

Dear Menk,

Thank you for your response. Since the customer does not have a product configurator license, we are not exploring that option right now. Nevertheless i will check the documentation for any helpful information.

Regards,
Sanket Pusalkar

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Is your customer aware that the Product Configurator will be the future. The question is how long will Siemens support classical variants