Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault objects

Creator
Creator

Can anyone tell me what the Unified equivalent is to the Enterprise "Vault" object? Unified has Volumes but that seems to be targeted for file storage, not business objects (e.g., Items).

4 REPLIES

Re: Vault objects

Creator
Creator

Okay, sanity check time, I'm replying to my own question now. I am going to play around with the following idea: 1) Create a user named "WIP Vault" and then create and assign a Volume to said user. 2) Pick some business objects to experiment with. 3) Transfer the ownership of these objects to the WIP Vault user. I am hoping the behavior will be as though a normal user will essentually be able to Check Out/In to the WIP Vault. If this works, I'll start experimenting with a Release Vault. The "WIP Vault" user account will be strictly managed by the TcUA adminstrator. The only down side that I see so far is that each Vault will consume a TcUA user license. Surely someone out there has done something similar, right?

Genius
Genius

Hi

Not 100% sure I get all what you want to achive but I give it try,

Volumes only stores files, as you already noticed. If you assign a volume to a specific user it's only as I see it recomended if they are located on a remote location.

If not I always assign volumes to groups.

If you want to prevent access or i.e control access you should use ACL rules.

ACL rules will control business object like Item.

/Jörgen

Creator
Creator
Thanks for your response.

Our issue with the whole thing is that on the DDG 1000 program using Teamcenter Enterprise, users are used to seeing their business objects (including any attached files) being owned by the "user" until it is initially checked into the DD(X) WIP Vault. During Workflow reviews we move the object into the DD(X) Review Vault. Once it matures, an object is then moved/owned by the DD(X) Vault and the lifecycle state is updated accordingly. ACLs are written based on ownership as well as other properties.

For Teamcenter Unified, there is no concept of a Vault "object". Whoever creates the business object is the "owner". We can change the ownership to another user but I've never tried changing it to a group. Of course we can use Unified ACLs to control permissions based on group/role. However, our users have become accustomed to Vaults and so we are investigating how to keep things "appearing" as similar as possible for them in Unified. That is what generated this forum topic.

The "group" angle is interesting. I wonder if I can simply create a group called " Vault" and then change ownership to this group along with using it for ACLs. I'll give it a whirl to see what happens.

Regards,

John D. Creel

FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY - This e-mail and/or its attachments may contain ForeThought, Inc. proprietary information. Such proprietary information may not be used, reproduced, or disclosed to any other parties for any other purpose without the expressed written permission of ForeThought, Inc. Misuse or unauthorized disclosure may result in both civil and criminal penalties. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by responding to the e-mail and then delete the e-mail immediately.

Genius
Genius

Hi

I don't think it will be easy for you to control the access through different volumes.

Each step in maturity you can get through a workflow and in that workflow probably attach the item to different predefined Folders. But I'm not a fan of the 'disk folder look a like' way of working as it requires so much manual work and can easily generate more disturbance in future when users don't find an object due to it's not in the 'correct' folder.

It's always hard to change from folder based view into a more search based setup using properties. In the long run it's worth the training and to ride the storm from frustrated users in the beginning. (I have both of these groups in our Teamcenter but the latest groups that joined TC didn't allow any folder based setup.)

When it comes to the maturity of an object I would use different statuses.

We have something similar were we have Work,Approved,Released,Locked,Archived and Closed statuses. Each of these have a different status flag icon so users visually can see what the item revision or dataset has as status.

It would also make it possible to hide objects for certain groups if they shall only see e.g released objects.

See below how we made it more visual for the users,

Statuses.png

We have just before Christmas started to implement Project module for one of our groups with pseudofolders so sales, quality persons more easy can find the information. All data added to the Projcet is filtered to represent the type of object a non-engineer would like to find when they work within the project.

Not sure this is something that you can use in your case.

2016-01-07_15-08-55-689.png