Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault server & cache servers

Experimenter
Experimenter

In my organization, some site have only cache servers & some sites have vault servers as well as cache servers. Is this setup for quick access to data (Cache server can get data from Vault server quickly if both are placed near by)?

3 REPLIES

Re: Vault server & cache servers

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
A cache is for "read" performance. The first person pays the penalty of the caching operation then every access after comes from the cache (unless the file changes and needs to be cached again).

A vault, actually a volume, comes in two flavors: a Local Volume which is permanent or a Store and Forward Volume which is temporary. These are for "write" performance. Writing to a volume that is close to you is faster and releases the client quicker than writing a file across the wan.

Hope that helps.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

Thank you for your guidance, I could understand the most.

By the way, I attached our architecture of TC with cache only & Tc with cache+vault.

My question, Is this "only Cache" US setup required db server? 

My assumptions:

1) If I want some India data to be cached in US, It will be done from China server. 

2) India needs a Database server, Cache server & vault server with some volume attached to it.

3) In US, only cache server & database server is enough. (No need of vault/volume). The cache server itself will be used as a storage volume. Is this assumption right>

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Attached architecture?

A single database server, wherever your HQ is, is enough for Teamcenter. The application server, running server manager (tcserver) needs to be close to the database server. The web server should be close to the application server. A cache server, no matter if they have a volume or not, can be anywhere.

The important factor for determining a cache server versus a cache/volume server is releasing the rich client in a timely fashion when it writes files. The client will not be released until the whole file is written to the volume. If the volume is all the way across the world then it will take a long time. If the volume is close to the client then it will take a short time.

Determining if the volume should be a store and forward (temporary) volume or it should be a local (permanent) volume depends on how the files are shared among locations. Sharing locations should use a S&F while non-sharing locations can use a local.

Randy Ellsworth, Teamcenter Architect, Applied CAx, LLC
NX 11 | SW 2016 | Creo 4 | TcUA 11.4
Evaluating: AW 3.4