Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Volume size and deduplication on Teamcenter.

Hello,

It's been a while since we have been working on Teamcenter, and I had a couple of questions regarding the "volumes".

As we are speaking, our volumes drive is huge (about 800GB all under the same volume folder).

1- Is there any performance relating issue regarding the volume size ? I.e: volume1 has 800GB, and have 1 000 000+ files inside it. (Browsing or copying within the folder is AWFULLY slow and painful, so would it cause TC to be slower?)

We are in the process of upgrading TC, so I already suggest that we create a new volume to have a new start, but I was still wondering if that had any influence on the speed of TC itself.

2- Is it possible to use deduplication on the volumes folder. It would free lots of space, but would it cause performance problems?

Thanks for helping/sharing your experience,

6 REPLIES

Re: Volume size and deduplication on Teamcenter.

The consultant who helped us installing Teamcenter advised us to have a maximum disk size of 400GB for our volume drives.

We now have 9 volume drives, 400GB each, distributed through two volume servers and the performance is good.

The amount of files per volume is limited by the file system limitations, but the more files a folder contains the slower everything gets.

I would keep my volume disks small, since there is a huge amount of files in each volume.

Stefan Pendl, Systemmanager CAx, HAIDLMAIR GmbH
Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1
Development: VB.NET, Tcl/Tk    Testing: NX11.0 EAP, NX12.0 EAP

How to Get the Most from Your Signature in the Community

Hi Stefan,

Are they all different hard drives?

Or different partitions on same drive?

Or different folders in the same partition?

My customer has 4TB single volume hard drive.

I created one volume in a folder. Should I create others as well?

Cem

The physical drive is a SAN system, but each LUN has a size of 400GB.

Each of the 400GB virtual drives contains multiple volumes, which reduces the amount of files per directory, which is also limited by the file system.

The main problem are the limits introduced by the file system:

1. directories per drive
  2. files per directories

In addition huge numbers of files per directory slows down the directory traversal process to get the information to access the files.

Production: NX10.0.3, VERICUT 8.0, FBM, MRL 3.1.4 | TcUA 10.1 MP7 Patch 0 (10.1.7.0) | TcVis 10.1

Have you run volume maintenance utilities to clean up the volume as much as possible?  Take a look at Volume and database management utilities.  Take a particular look at dataset_cleanup, purge_datasets, purge_volumes, and review_volumes.

How to use following utilities in teamcenter.

1) collect_garbage 
2) dataset_cleanup 
3) review_volumes.

See the Teamcenter documentation in section "Administering Teamcenter => Utilities Reference => Volume and Database Management Utilities".